Chapter 29 | Lion's Den

Elaire's POV

A deafening roar of a beast. Ito ang nakapagpatigil sa'min ni Admiral Sienna habang nakasakay kami sa aming mga kabayo. Naalarma nito ang buong katawan ko at kunot-noo akong napatingala sa mga ibong nagsiliparan mula sa mga puno.

"What was that?" tanong ko.

To my surprise, Admiral Sienna just stayed calm. "Let's go join the others and you'll find out."

"Elle!"

Sabay kaming napalingon kay Sylus na pinahinto ang kanyang kabayo sa harap namin. He was gently bouncing on his horse when he lowered his head to the admiral.

"Buti nalang at naabutan pa kita," sabi niya sa sandaling tumingin siya sa'kin. "I'm here to say goodbye."

Pulling on his horse, he looked at Saffron, intrigued. "And uhh— careful, Elle. You know what kind of breed that is, right?"

I didn't understand why he had to warn me. "Is there something wrong with him?"

Naaasiwa siyang tumawa. "He's the last descendant of the first queen's mare. His breed carries the same curse as her."

"A cursed breed?" usisa ko.

"Yeah." May bahid ng awa ang tinig niya pero mabilis itong nawala nang ngitian niya ako. "I hope to see you the next time I visit the palace, Elle," paalam niya at muling ibinaba ang kanyang ulo sa admiral. "Admiral," sambit niya bago umalis.

When Sylus has gone, vanishing into the distance, I turned to Admiral Sienna.

"Saffron is cursed?" Gusto kong makumpirma.

Pinalakad niya ang kanyang kabayo. Sumunod ako.

"Saffron is the last of his breed," pag-uulit niya sa sinabi ni Sylus. "The rest has died after succumbing to madness. Nabaliw silang lahat, nagwala, bago namatay, katulad ng nangyari sa unang reyna."

Bumaba ang aking paningin, gayundin ang pagbigat ng aking dibdib, at saka humarap sa landas ni Saffron.

The first queen of Irvina. The mad queen. The first mage. The first cursed.

"What do you think happened to her?" Hindi ko mapigilang magtanong.

"Queen Emnestra?" aniya.

"Mmm."

Even when we're moving, the air went still, as the admiral thought of her answer.

"I thought she was cool," sagot niya. "A princess warrior turned into a fearless queen..."

Napansin kong nagtapos siya sa mahabang katahimikan. "There is a but?"

"But she was broken," pagtutuloy niya. "She reached the point of brokenness that is very difficult to mend. She was a thinning rope waiting to snap."

Why? I wanted to ask but she already continued to answer.

"Because she was a lot of things." Tumanaw sa malayo ang admiral. "She was a princess born to a king who wanted a prince. She was an heir born in the middle of war. The only one who truly cared for her, her mother, died fighting the endless war against Ashina. For years, she lived on shaky ground. She ruled a kingdom of fear and resentment."

Madalang na kumisap ang aking mga mata sa pananaw niya.

"She was born in an unfortunate time," pagtatapos ng admiral.

But without her we wouldn't have this kingdom, tahimik kong dugtong. And the world wouldn't have magic.

Bumaling ang aking atensyon kay Saffron. He strode on the grounds confidently, na parang wala siyang kaalam-alam sa posibleng mangyayari sa kanya.