Prologue

December 3rd, 1941

JULIA WAS A LOT OF THINGS. Kind, sassy, bigmouthed, meaner than she wanted to be, protective, defensive, knee-deep in love, hungover and extremely late for work. The latter two were linked.

Julia was a lot of things, a girl with a drinking problem being another, even if she didn't admit it. She was doing better these days, thanks to her soon-to-be husband, but even so, last night was a special occasion. I mean, it was her birthday in less than a month, and her best friend since childhood was back in town to celebrate. It was her 40th, Julia half expected to be dead in a ditch by now, this was a big celebration. Celebrations need booze.

She regretted it now, obviously. She wasn't too worried. Julia was a singer. She'd been singing ever since she could remember. She sang at a lot of places over the years. She had a few regular places, bars, clubs, etc. The job this morning was at a regular place, and she knew the owner well. The two were actually good friends. Julia trusted he would cut her some slack, he wasn't exactly on top of his drinking either. Julia was a different person in her twenties, and lived a very different life. She made some odd friends.

So now here she was, late for work and speedwalking in her stupid heels. Her circular sunglasses rested on the end of her nose. Her dark hair was perfect, waves framing her face beautifully. Her makeup was not perfect. Julia preferred her hair to her makeup. Her dark trenchcoat looked out of place over her bright, tight dress. The coat wasn't hers, it was a gift from her fiancé. Something to remember me by till I come back, he'd said as he'd draped it around her shoulders. Her small handbag was gripped tightly in her hand, chain resting over her shoulder. Just her luck she missed the bus.

Julia hung around some odd, dodgy spots in her twenties. So her regular spots were in odd, dodgy places. And these were odd, dodgy times. And Julia was also a firm believer in people minding their own damn business. So when Julia heard someone calling out from a dark alley, she didn't go in straight away.

Then the woman called again. Wincing, Julia walked backwards and looked into the alley. She nodded, and her glasses slipped to the end of her nose. She peered over the rims with grey eyes.

There, about halfway down the alley, a woman on the floor. She propped herself up on her elbows, gritting her teeth in pain. She had short blonde hair in a bob. She wore a strange, bright blue suit. A large blue leather briefcase lay beside her. Julia was sceptical.

"You alright doll?" She called.

The woman gasped, looking at Julia with wide eyes. Her breathing was ragged and quick. Julia bit the inside of her cheek, thinking. She wanted to help her, but didn't trust her either.

The woman stammered for a moment. "H-help. Please. I... I need help."

Julia looked around the street nervously. It was empty. No one else was coming. But she was already late. She bit the inside of her cheek harder, tasting a little blood. She licked the inside of her cheek. She needed to get out of that habit.

"Please..."

Julia groaned softly, bouncing on her heels before heading into the alley. "Alright, hang on doll. I'm comin'."

Julia was a few feet away from her when the woman shot to her feet. Julia stopped suddenly. Before she could turn and leave, the woman aimed a pistol at her head.

Julia bit the inside of her cheek. "What do ya want?" She asked, slowly, subtly reaching into her handbag. These were odd, dodgy times, and Julia was smart enough to always carry a small revolver. Her hand closed around the cold handle and her finger teased the trigger nervously.

"Nothing." She pulled the trigger.

Julia ducked instinctively. Her ears rang. Her head swam as she felt warm blood trickle down her face. Stumbling, struggling to stay on her feet, Jay shot the woman in the chest.