Thirty-Three - Brother Hunting

THEY DITCHED LILA QUICKLY. Jay and Five vanished in a blink of blue that Jay really hadn't missed. They decided to cool off and catch up and by the time Five blinked them back to Elliott's, both were tipsy to say the least.

Diego, regrettably, was still alive.

Lila was perched over him, tending to what looked like a stab wound in his stomach with surprising skill and calmness. Diego was lay beneath her on the sofa, head hung off the end, half awake and half aware.

"Still alive, is he?" Jay asked, peering over.

"Disspionted?" Lila asked.

"To see you? Always." Five said. He was wearing Jay's sunglasses.

"I can't take you seriously while you're dressed like that. I can't take you seriously anyway, mostly because of the outfit, but this is crossing a line." Lila said.

Jay snatched her glasses back, hanging them from her collar. She flopped down on the armchair opposite Diego and Lila with a sigh, twirling a strand of hair round and round her finger absentmindedly.

Five picked up a cotton ball and shoved it to his neck, leaning against the doorframe. Lila grinned. "Did you cut yourself shaving? I could teach you to shave like a big boy."

Jay started to giggle. "He got his ass handed to him by a baby chimp."

"A chimpanzee?" Lila reapeted, grinning incredulously.

Jay nodded, laughing. Lila snickering with her. Five rolled his eyes, looking anywhere but them, and spotted Elliott. He was fast asleep in his chair, nails now a glittering green, gag shoved in his mouth and ropes tight around his writs and ankles.

"You didn't untie him?" Five asked.

"Was I supposed to?"

After that wonderful and productive conversation, Lila and Diego dissappeared into Elliott's bedroom. Elliott was untied and woken up. He quickly made them all some food, then sat at what Jay called his Conspiracy Corner and started tinkering with his machines. She and Five sat on the sofa, Jay patching up the slashes on his neck in between bites.

By about one in the morning, they were ready to face in horror of acknowledging the fact there was one sofa and two of them.

They stood, side by side, staring down the couch as if it would duplicate or combust at any moment. Jay had her hands on her hips. Five's were in his pockets.

Elliott's machine beeped.

Five practically ran to it. "What?" He asked as Elliott slid over in his chair.

"It's the uh, atmospheric radar." He said, wiping his mouth.

"Good." Five said to himself.

"I don't get it, what are you tracking? A hurricane, stormfront?"

"Sound waves." 

"Sound waves." Elliott reapeted under his breath.

Before anyone could say or do anything else, Five had blinked himself and Jay out of there.

November 17th, 1963

Jay liked Viktor Hargreeves. She re*ally liked Viktor Hargreeves. And she hated anyone who didn't like Viktor Hargreeves. Viktor was one of those people who had every right to be an asshole, but wasn't. That was extraordinarily rare. She loved him for it.

So when Five suggested they spend till dawn picking their way through a corn field to find him, she didn't immediately turn and walk away.

And it did take till dawn to find him. Jay was cold and hungry and pissy, but as they at last spotted the small man hugging his knees as he sat in the dirt amongst the corn, she sighed. She liked Viktor Hargreeves. She'd been worried about him.