Thirty-Nine - Ghosts

JAY FOLLOWED THE GAYS. Jesus her life had gone to shit.

She'd heard more than enough about Dave to know he was meant to be sweet and kind and would never hurt Klaus. She also knew the timeline was in borderline disrepair and next to nothing was as it was supposed to be. Ben had told her what happened in the diner. Last time these two had seen each other, Klaus had been punched in the face and relapsed within the hour.

Dave looked very confused. That much she could understand. He followed Klaus about the mansion, a pamphlet for Destiny's Children clutched in his hands. Klaus was yapping, sauntering about with a half full glass of whisky in hand. Everyone they passed bowed, and one of them took the time to throw a necklace of flowers around each of their necks. That same person threw one around Jay's neck, but before she could break something Dave's voice caught her ear.

"Hey uh, what's with the girl? She your sister or... daughter?"

"Oh, no." Klaus laughed.

"Family friend." Jay said quickly, walking around the other side of the pool to them.

"My brothers in love with her." Klaus told Dave.

"He's not." Jay called. "Hurt him again Dave and I'll fucking kill you. Don't think I won't."

"Thanks Jay! I got it from here." Klaus called.

Jay waved over her shoulder, heading the opposite way into the garden. Behind her, she heard Dave hastily apologies for what happened the other day. She smiled to herself.

Jay went still.

Her arms fell to her sides, her hands clenching into fists. She took a shaky breath in, out. She did not let herself look away, turn and run, show any sign of weakness.

But just the need for all those things had already betrayed her absolute terror to the woman watching her from across the garden.

The Handler smiled at Jay, waving her hand and waggling her fingers in a small wave. Jay took another breath in, out. She could do this. She could beat this, beat her. She just had to stay calm. She had to stay aware of who and what she was now.

She was Jay. She was her own. She was healing and she did not take orders from anyone, least of all the woman who was still watching her.

But then The Handler curled her fingers in Jay's direction, just once, then turned and dissappeared behind a tree. The order was clear, the result even more so.

Follow.

Jay did as she was told. She was crafted be a weapon, a sword to used and then discarded. She was made to follow orders and do as she was told. It was what she did best.

Some new part of her screamed against that, but now wasn't the time for any of that. Liking herself wouldn't get her anywhere with The Handler.

She was going to be sick. Jay couldn't stop herself, couldn't stop her feet moving to follow after the woman who had controlled her for what felt like her whole existence. Her mind was racing and her hands were shaking and she wasn't armed.

Jay wasn't armed.

Utterly, utterly helpless. Just like that day in 1941. She was helpless and bleeding and The Handler smiled down at her.

"Hello Jay. You're looking... different."

Jay took a breath, realeased it. She tore the flowers from around her neck, clutched them tight in her hand. Her insides were in turmoil but with a thought, she silenced. Klaus had taught her it wasn't healthy to do that and she knew he was right, but this woman would kill her if she made a wrong move.