Thirteen - Catch Ourselves an Eye

JAY LIKED THE LOOK OF VIKTOR HARGREEVES. The shy and quiet and kind boy had instantly appealed to her for a reason she couldn't remember, but when she thought about it her childish ghost started crawling up her throat, so Jay decided she liked Viktor and that was that.

So when Five blinked them to Viktor's apartment, Jay didn't complain. She draped herself over his sofa, prodding the cut on her arm and smiling at the sting until Five swatted her hand away, dropping into the armchair beside her.

Not long after Viktor came home, turning on the light. Jay and Five smiled at him. Viktor jumped a mile.

"Jesus!"

"You should really lock your windows."

"I live on the second floor."

"Rapists can climb."

"You're so weird."

Viktor closed the door, hung his coat on the back, and sat down on the other side of the sofa to Jay. Then he spied Five's collar, spotted with red.

"Is that blood?" He asked.

"It's nothing." Five said.

"It's ain't his, or mine." Jay said.

Viktor looked between the two with growing confusion and worry. "Why are you here?"

Five sighed. "I've decided you're the only one I can trust."

"Why me?" Viktor asked.

"Because you're ordinary." Five said. Viktor looked hurt. Five's gaze softened. "Because you'll listen."

"Okay." Was all Viktor said. He stood and left the room, coming back a moment later with a first aid kit. He sat down in front of Five, who rolled up his sleeve, revealing the hasty bandage he'd wrapped around his cut. Viktor started to clean the cut.

"When I jumped forward and got stuck in the future, do you know what I found?" Five asked.

Viktor shook his head. "No."

"Nothing." Five said. "Absolutely nothing. As far as I could tell I was the last person left alive. I never figured out what killed the human race but... I did find something else. The date it happens. The world ends in eight days, and I have no idea how to stop it."

"I'll put on a cup of coffee."

He did, handed Jay and Five a steaming mug each, and got to work on Five's arm as he spoke. Five tossed Jay a bandage, cloth and disinfectant, knowing better than to let a stranger like Viktor go anywhere near her injuries. Jay patched herself up and promptly stopped listening to Five, having heard the apocalypse speech more times than she could and would count and, if she tried, Jay could probably recite everything Five was saying word for word almost effortlessly.

She only came back to reality when Five said her name, now stood near the door and nodding for her to follow. "Jay. Come on, we're leaving."

"Oh." Jay said, putting her empty mug down on the table. She stood and made her way to Five's side.

"Wait," Viktor said. "I haven't seen you in a long time, and... I don't want to lose you again. That's all. And you know what, it's getting late. I have lessons early and I need to sleep and I'm sure you do too. Here," he walked over to the sofa and grabbed a blanket off the back. He laid it out on the sofa and looked at Five. "We'll talk more in the morning again. Okay? I promise." He headed for his room. "Night."

"Night." Five called.

Viktor closed the door behind him. Jay sighed, smiled, and stood in front of Five.