Seventeen - The Truth

March 28th, 2019

JAY HATED EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW SHE WOKE UP. First of all, she was hungover; not unusual; not good either. Secondly, she had thrown her life away for Five fucking Hargreeves; very bad on multiple levels. Thirdly, she was losing her mind; again not uncommon, but not pleasant either. And lastly, Five had an arm around her. 

She was in a bed, an actual bed, a single bed. She and Five were lying in it together, uncomfortably close. Five's arm had found its way around her waist, and his grip was tight. The worst part, Jay was holding his hand there.

Her stomach lurched, with both a hangover and ghosts, and Jay stuck her head over the side of the bed and vomited, heavily. Her chest heaved and her body shook.

Five, still completely passed out, made a soft sound in his sleep and tried to pull Jay back closer.

Jay's stomach lurched all over again, mind swimming with unwanted memories of a certain dead man and a familiar love-struck ghost clawing at her throat. Jay clamped a shaking hand over her mouth, carefully prying Five off her with the other. Once she had Jay sat up, she spotted a discarded Delores at Five's feet. Gently, she slipped the mannequin into Five's hold, and he gripped it almost as tightly as he gripped her.

Jay sighed heavily and shakily, reaching for a cigarette. She took a deep drag and tried to suppress the ghosts in her mind and throat and stomach and everything, instead looking around.

She was in some kind of boiler room, by the looks of it. A desk and a punching bag and the bed had been dotted about the place, but the boiler still sat in the corner and pipes still threaded along the walls. Jay spied the target pinned to the wall and the dozen holes in it, along with the dozen stray knives of various designs scattered about the place, and decided this must be Diego's place.

Of course he lives in a boiler room, Jay thought with a drag. She wouldn't be surprised if he lived out of a car.

A door opened. "Ah, you're up." It was Luther.

Jay groaned. "Really?"

Luther started down the stairs into the room. God, Diego lives in a basement boiler room. That was sad, not even in a funny way.

Jay took a drag of her cigarette, watching Luther with dull grey eyes. He looked nervous. He kept eyeing her not so subtly as he pulled up a chair and sat down opposite her.

"So, last night, you said some things," he began carefully.

"I say a lot of things a lot of the time. You gotta be more specific." Jay said flatly, taking a drag of her cigarette.

"Five said you've killed people."

Jay rolled her eyes. "Didn't you lot used to run around fighting criminals? Didn't anyone die then?"

Luther almost flinched as he looked down. Jay winced.

"Oh, right, Ben. Sorry." She said.

"How'd you know about him?" Luther asked, looking up.

"Five talks about you, a lot." Jay said with a small laugh. She had another drag of her cigarette. "Anyway, yes. Me and Five were assassins together. Best in the business actually."

Luther's mouth fell open. "When? How?"

Jay shrugged. "Everywhere and anywhere, wherever we were sent."

"Hang on, so, why?" Luther asked.

"Five signed up to escape the apocalypse." Jay said.

"But... I don't understand. How does... just how?" Luther asked.