Thirty-Eight - Cults

BY THE TIME THEY GOT HOME, it was dark. The mansion loomed over the two drunken leaders, neither of them remotely ready. Still, Klaus slapped a hand into Jay's and together, they walked through the front door.

Inside, Destiny's Children waited. About a hundred people in turquoise shits and skirts sat about the building, locked in prayer for their propeht who had come home! Cheers and whispers rose like a tidal wave as Klaus and Jay were swarmed. He spread his arms half-heartedly.

"Daddy's home!

"I'm going to bed."

November 20th, 1963

Jay did not wake peacefully. She woke to a cold kiss on her cheek, cold like a knife, cold as death. In an instant she'd gripped the knife under her pillow and hurled ahead of her.

She sat in bed, chest heaving, watching her knife wobble lightly where it now stood; embedded in the far wall. She groaned.

"You can't do that to me!" She said, looking around wildly. "Where are you?"

Ben poked her right cheek. Jay stared in that direction, which was actually about a foot off from where the ghost actually stood. "Why are you bothering me this early in the morning?"

He tapped her alarm clock, the object jangling as he did. It was almost eleven in the morning.

"And?" Jay asked.

Ben tugged at her collar. Jay sighed and tried to swat him away, climbing out of bed. She ran a hand through her messy hair, ignoring her headache the best she could.

"Give me a minute. At least let me grab a coffee first."

Instead, Ben tugged at her collar again, harder. Jay threw her arm out in a wild swing.

"Piss off!"

He tapped against her shoulder. "It's Klaus."

"It's always Klaus." She threw her arms up, reaching for her dressing gown. It was a soft red fabric, with furry collars and hems. It looked quite out of place over her pyjamas; an oversized shirt that simply read fuck off in bold black letters. Where Klaus had found such a shirt in 1963, she'd never know. "Let me get coffee."

She was just doing up the robe when Ben again gripped her by the collar and dragged her through the house towards Klaus's room. Jay yelled and struggled all the while, drawing many stares from all the cultists as she passed. She didn't care. They didn't like her anyway.

When at last they reached Klaus's room, he was doing yoga in his underwear.

"Oh for fucks sake! This is what you dragged me out of bed for?"

"I am trying to meditate." Klaus said, perched in the downward dog position, ass aimed at Jay.

"And I am trying to get coffee, but instead I'm here." Jay sighed, rubbing her head. Her eyes slid to the side as Ben tapped out what was happening on her shoulder. He then turned to Klaus.

"This is a mistake."

"You've messed with my flow quite enough this morning, Ben." Klaus said.

"You can't just go out there and tell them that the world is gonna end."

"I think that could be quite funny." Jay shrugged, snatching a hairbrush off Klaus's dressing table and sitting on his bed.

"Traitor." Ben tapped. He turned back to Klaus. "You know what can happen to cults when things go sideways."

"First of all it's not a cult." Klaus snapped.