Thirty-Six - Family Meeting

THEY SAT ABOUT THE LIVING ROOM. Jay had taken the armchair closest to Five, stood at the head of the coffee table. Diego stood beside him. Viktor and Allison shared the sofa, Allison perched on its arm. Luther sat in the corner, sipping something Klaus had handed him and was no doubt alcoholic. Klaus himself wandered between the living room and kitchen, each trip ending with a new bottle in his hand. He was making one of his God-awful cocktails, if Jay had to guess. She tried not to look at him too much, more focused on Five.

"Alright." He sighed. "First off I wanna say I'm sorry. I know I really screwed the pooch on this whole going back in time and getting stuck thing. But the real kick in the pants here is; we brought the end of the world back here with us."

"Oh my God, again?" Klaus asked, spinning to face them. Everyone gave him a look that vaguely read as duh. "All of you knew? Why am I always the last to find out about the end of the- Oh my God. My cult is gonna be so pissed. Five! I told them we had until 2019."

"We have until Monday. We have six days."  

"Is it Viktor?" Klaus sipped his drink.

"Klaus." Jay and Allison said at once.

"What? It's usually Viktor." 

"Do you have any leads, Five?" Viktor asked.

"Yeah, we have one." Five said, handing the file to Allison.

She opened it, saw the picture inside. "Holy shit is that Dad?"

"Yeah." Diego said, leaning against the back of Jay's seat.

Viktor leaned over to see. "That's him?"

"Standing on the Grassy knoll."

"Diego, Jay and I have been trying to talk to Dad about what exactly this means. So far we got nothing." Five said

"Not nothing." Diego said.

"Deigo got a stab wound." Jay explained.

"No. Well, yes." He shook his head. "We know he's planning to kill the president."

"Maybe." Five said. "But we don't know who or what sets doomsday in motion. Could be Kennedy, could be something entirely independent. But we know something changes the timeline. We have to make it right again."

"Yeah but how are we meant to fix it if we don't know what's broken?" Allison asked.

"Come on. Do the math." Diego said. "We know Dad's having shady-ass meeting with some shady-ass people. We know he's on the grassy knoll in three days, to kill the president. So I think we all know what we have to do."

He stepped to Five's side.

"Find Dad."
"Kill Dad."

Everyone looked at Deigo. Jay sighed, ran a hand through her hair.

"Okay, Diego, let's say we go through with that. You kill Reginald Hargreeves, meaning in 1989 he won't be there to buy you off your parents when you're born. Meaning the Umbrella Academy is never formed. Meaning Viktor is never drugged. Meaning he never gets pissed about being drugged and destroys life as we know it. Meaning we never go back in time."

"That's a good thing." Diego said.

Jay sighed again. "If we never go back in time, you will never kill your dad. Meaning he will be alive to buy you in 1989. Meaning Viktor will cause the apocalypse. Meaning we will go back in time. So you can kill your dad. Meaning- you get the picture. Kill ya Dad we create a time loop that destroys the universe. Capiche?"