Forty-Two - Talk

"DID HE HURT YOU?"

"Did... no, I'm fine. What?"

Five continued to pace, back and forth, back and forth, itching furiously at the back of his neck. Jay watched him, just come out of the hotel they'd eaten, eyes narrowed in confusion.

"Good." Five nodded, still pacing. "You're sure?"

"Quite." Jay said, walking closer to him. "Five?"

"Yeah?" Back to her, he didn't stop pacing

She put herself in his way. "Five."

He froze. "Yeah."

She stared at him. "I'm fine."

He nodded again. "Good."

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

"Yeah. You okay?"

"Yeah."

"No." She shook her head. "No you're not."

Five glanced at the doors. His dad would be out any minute. He grabbed her hand and led her away, blinking them round to the back of the building. He then went back to pacing.

"Five." Jay said, duller, following him back and forth.

"I'm fine."

"You're not." She grabbed his face as he passed, cupping it between her hands. "Look at me."

"I'm looking."

"Listen to me."

"I'm listening,"

"I'm fine." Jay said slowly. "You're fine. We're fine. It's all fine. Say it."

"It's fine." Five said. "You're fine. I'm fine. You're fine. You're fine."

"I'm fine." Jay nodded. "Take a minute. Talk to me. We have time."

He chuckled slightly, half tempted to step out of her hold, half tempted to step closer. "I just... I didn't... I don't- I don't like him..."

"I gathered that." Jay said.

Five chuckled. Her hands fell from his face. He took them in his. "I didn't like seeing you and him in a room together. You and him we're ever meant to meet."

She frowned. "What do you mean?"

"I mean I just... I never wanted you to meet him. I never wanted him to see you."

"Why not?" She asked.

"Because he..." Why couldn't she get it? "He's just... he gets in your head and he messes you up and I never wanted you to go through that. You're fucked up enough as is."

"Oh thanks." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious." He tucked a strand of blonde hair behind her ear. When had she got her ears pierced? "I was worried about you."

"I'm fine." She said. "Really, I'm okay. He was... he's a prick but he's not that bad. To me. Just now."

"He is normally." Five frowned.

"Well I guess I got lucky." She smiled. "I'm alright. We... talked."

"Can he help?"

"He had some... advice for you... about time-travel." She said slowly.

Five perked up slightly at that. "And?"

"And..." she stepped away. "He said if you're ever gonna get it right you need to start smaller. Practice, basically. Seconds, not decades. That's what he said."