Chapter 39: The Flare Sucks

If Bellamy thought that she was screwed before, running up the ruins of a very dilapidated skyscraper while being chased by Cranks was much much much worse than anything else she had experienced.

Brenda led the way up the ruins, ducking inside of the building. They didn't really have anywhere else to go, and they didn't have any other options at this point. Bellamy's heart was beating so fast, blood rushing and pumping in her ears.

She had just cleared a metal pipe when she heard the snarling getting closer. "Go, go!" Thomas yelled from behind her.

Brenda turned, kicking the nearest object down. It fell past her head and past Thomas, landing straight atop one of the Cranks. He fell through the window, shattering onto the ground below.

To be quite honest, Bellamy wasn't sure how much longer she could keep this entire thing up for. The constant running, the never-ending fighting—it was exhausting to a point where she wasn't sure wanted to keep running.

I mean, I don't want to die like these losers though.

Gritting her teeth, Bellamy continued the steep climb up through the narrow window of opportunity. Making their way to what was left of a stairwell, they ascended the steep and shattered metal wire stairs.

Hands on either side of her, Bellamy continued to propel herself upwards—but her body was tired. Her body was more than exhausted and ready for rest.

Didn't she deserve it?

She hadn't eaten anything in what felt like days—and dehydration was setting in, too.

Sparing a glance downward, she realized one of the Cranks was literally jumping from floor to floor. You've gotta be totally shitting me—

Realizing that the Crank was going to reach Thomas before he could make it to the next floor, Bellamy swung downwards with her legs. Slamming her feet into the chest of the Crank, it went flying, impaling on a piece of rebar not far from them.

Brenda tugged on Bellamy's arm and pulled her back into her position, continuing their ascent as Thomas yelled a thank you. Just as Brenda grabbed onto the next railing, it splintered off and Brenda went flying backwards.

Bellamy gave a scream of horror as Brenda slammed through a door, landing harshly on a glass window below them. "BRENDA!"

"You okay?!" Thomas yelled.

"We gotta find a way down there!" Bellamy was already moving and Thomas grabbed her arm.

"We gotta take a second—"

"We don't have one!" Bellamy exclaimed.

"Yeah...." Brenda mumbled at the bottom, barely sitting her head up in pain. She shifted slightly and cracks appeared on the glass window.

"Brenda, you can't move anymore! Any more fractures and the entire glass wall breaks!" Bellamy cried out. She turned to Thomas, a set expression on her face. "You're gonna help me get down to her. Slowly."

"You got it."

Together, they carefully began to make their way down to Brenda. But the more Brenda began to stand, the more cracks appeared. The duo slid to a stop near a rock, where Thomas held on.

"Think you can hold me?"

"Sure," Thomas breathed out.

Bellamy leaned as far forward as she could, clinging onto Brenda's hand. Her feet barely touched down on the glass and Thomas clung to her other hand. Before they could even make a move, a Crank had appeared in the doorway above them.