Chapter 2

"We are in Abuja. Just a bit then we'll reach home." Aunty Salmah says as we seat in the backseat of her car. We've been on the road for about five hours since we left Kano. We stopped at Kaduna to eat, pray and rest a bit.

It's been three days since Aunty Salmah came to take me away. The doctor said I had three broken ribs, a grade 2 concussion and a broken nose. I spent two days in the hospital before they discharged me and gave me permission to leave the state. Aunty Salmah put her foot down and told my dad that she was taking me, he argued with her for a while, talking about how it will make him seem weak if he lets me go. She threatened to go court and take custody of me if he didn't let her take me. They thought I was asleep when they were arguing but I heard every word. He didn't care that she almost killed me, that she has been killing me slowly for the past decade, all he cared about was his reputation and pride.

"Okay Aunty." I say to her as I watched the scenery pass by. I've never been to Abuja, but I've definitely read enough books based on it.

"We'll head straight to my house so you can rest. Asma will be home so you can meet her." She gave me a smile and I did the same.

I knew she pitied me and she blamed herself but I was okay. Yes I was abused everyday and maltreated but my life wasn't all bad all the time. I had friends who cared and Hamma Ahmad took care of me sometimes. He was Anty's son but he was so different than her. He was kind and he used to be a buffer between me and her before he left for work in Abuja. Maybe I would see him.

It didn't take long for us to arrive in a rich neighborhood. Every house we passed by was huge and screaming wealth. The driver stopped in front of a huge black gate that opened to reveal a mansion. It was the biggest house I had ever seen. It was surrounded with trees and flowers and the driveway had at least four luxury cars from the looks of it. I didn't grow up in poverty. Baba had money and our house was the biggest in our area in Kano but it was nothing compared to this.

The driver parked and I stepped out of the car with a wince from the ache in my ribs. I couldn't help but stare at the house. It was a two-story but so wide that you had to guess there would be about 15 rooms in it. It was dream come true for me, especially since I wanted to be an interior designer.

The driver brought out my one luggage from the trunk and Aunty Salmah told him to keep it in the room next to Asma's. She pulls me close and held my hand as we entered the house. "Welcome home, darling."

A girl pops out of a door from my left as soon as we enter the house. She's tall and looks exactly like Aunty Salmah except she has rounder cheeks and dark brown eyes. There's a warm smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye as she runs up to me and gives me a hug. I was shocked to say the least but I still hug her back.

"Oh my god. You are soo pretty." She gushes as she pulls back, making me blush. "I'm so excited you're here, you have no idea how boring it being the only girl in this house." She pulls me in for another hug and I stifle the wince I know was about to come out.

"Hi. I'm Madeenah." I tell her with a smile. She was so sweet and I knew I was going to like her.

"I know. Mami told me. Now come on, we waited for you guys before eating lunch." She pulls my hand to the same door she came out of. We enter a dining room that was set for eight people. Asma drags me to seat with her and immediately started asking me tons of questions.

We hear noises coming from the front door and then three men barge in, all in their kaftans. They're all talking as they enter the dining. They all stop when they see me sitting next to Asma. The two in front look almost identical and I guess they were twins but the one at the back was definitely Aunty Salmah's son. All her kids seemed to have this distinctive characteristic that you could guess belonged to her.

"Zayn, Hassan, Hussein this is Madeenah. She's my sister's daughter. She's going to be staying with us." Aunty Salmah says as they slowly sat down, still looking at me.

"Ina wuni." I greet them and they all answered with a smile.

"Ya kike. Ya hanya." Zayn asks me with a smile. He was nice. (How are you? How was the journey?)

"Alhamdullilah." I say just as some maids brought in different foods.

I was sitting in between Asma and Aunty Salmah and the boys were opposite us. The two seats at the head of the table were empty. Aunty Salmah's husband probably wasn't around but I didn't know who the other seat belonged to.

Just then a fair man walks in and my breath stops for a bit. He's ridiculously tall, tall in a way that intimidated people. His face is just made of sharp lines and looks like it was literally crafted. He has a scowl on his face and but it just sharpens his features more. He has a stubble shadowing his jaw and his dark eyes were framed with long lashes. His eyes roam around the room before landing on me. He frowned as he took me in before dragging his eyes away and heading towards Aunty Salmah.

"Muhammad sai yanzu?" She asks as he bends down to kiss her cheek.

"Yes Mami." He has a deep voice. He must be her eldest son.

He sits at the head of the table in his black suit, different than what the other guys wore.

"Ina wuni Yaya." Asma and the guys all say and he answers them before settling his gaze on me.

"Muhammad, wanan Madeenah ne er Saliha, my sister. You remember her right?" Aunty Salmah explains when she notices him looking at me. (This is Madeenah, Saliha's daughter.)

"Ina Wuni." I say

He stares at me for a bit before glancing away and answering. "Lafia." And that was all he said.

Him and Aunty Salmah started serving themselves some rice before everyone else followed. I was so hungry, I couldn't eat on the road cause I was scared to get sick but whoever the cook was in this house was amazing. Ya Muhammad was the first to finish and the first to stand.

"Mami, I'm going back to the office, I have work to do. I'll be back later." He tells Aunty Salmah.

"Toh shikenan. Be back before Inayah starts questioning me." She smiles at him and he walks out.

The guys started talking about a match they had to see later while Asma keeps engaging me in conversation. I soon finish my food but was too shy to actually get up. Thankfully Aunty Salmah notices and tells Aliya to take me to my room.

I really just wanted to sleep.

WORD COUNT: 1,266