Chapter 22

Madeenah's POV

Asma is sitting there in shock, staring at me then up at the ceiling then back at me. "You're deadass not joking?" She asks for the third time.

"I am not joking." I watch her warily, waiting for her real reaction.

She closes her eyes, then a turns away from me. My heart drops waiting for her to be pissed at me or hurt. But I'm confused when she turns back to me with a huge smile on her face, as she jumps on me. She's laughing and squealing.

"You're gonna be my sister!" She yells as she sways us from side to side.

My brows furrow, "You're not upset with me?" I ask.

"No! I love this." She smiles, "I can't believe all this time Ya Muhammad liked you." She coos.

"I don't know about that." I chuckle.

"How could he not? You are a bombshell. Look at those curves." She gushes as she spins me around. "And that ass. Damn!" I turn around and hit her.

"Shut up."

"Come on we both know you could seduce any man you wanted. Your body is literally perfect."

"No, it's not. Stop."

"Anyway, you're gonna be my in-law." She does this happy dance making me shake my head at her.

It's been two days since I said yes to him. Mami called me to her room yesterday to talk to me. She told me that I should only do it if I wanted to. That it didn't matter if Ya Muhammad was her son, I was still her niece, and since my mother wasn't here to look out for me, then she would. I reassured her that it was what I wanted. She was happy with that.

She told me that he was going to go to my family house today to ask for my hand from my father. I told her there was no use, but she said it was out of respect. I was planning on calling Hamma today, but I needed to tell Asma first. She's like a sister to me and I can't keep such a big thing from her. I'm so glad that she doesn't hate me for it.

I dial his number and wait for him to pick.

"Hajiya. What do you want?" He says the moment he picks the call.

"Can I not call my Hamma?" I ask with a nervous laugh.

"When you laugh like that it means you are hiding something. What is it?" He asks.

"I don't hide things." I say.

"What is it?" He asks again.

I take a deep breath before just saying it, "I'm getting married."

Everything is quiet. It feels like the whole room stills and the world stops moving. He doesn't say anything for a while, and I almost check to see if he cut the call, when I hear a deep breath from his end.

"Deedee, explain."

"You remember Ya Muhammad. Aunty Salmah's son that picked me up from your house." I say.

"Yes." His tone is clipped.

"He asked me to marry him, and I said yes." I mutter.

"He asked you. And you said yes." He repeats as if he needed to hear it from his own mouth.

"Yes." I say quietly I'm sure he can hardly hear me.

"Madeenah that man is way older than you. He has a child. And you are 19 years old!" He finally reacts.

"I know." I keep my head down as if he can see me.

"How can you just say yes? You're supposed to come to me and let me investigate. You're even too young to come to me." He yells. "You can't make decisions like that."