Chapter 5

I've been in Abuja for a week now and I have admission in a university. Everything is just getting better. Me and Asma spend every moment together, either watching series in her room or just having random trips to get ice cream. I'm more careful about where I go and Asma is more protective. Hassan is always hanging out with us and I found out that he's not related to them. Their parents, who were friends with Aunty Salmah and Abba, died in an accident when they were kids so Aunty Salmah practically adopted them.

Zayn and Hussein are more reserved although Zayn tends to laugh and joke more when he's with Hassan. Hussein is always quiet and observant, and he seems to be the only one Ya Muhammad tolerates. They always have quiet conversations at the table when we are eating, and now I am permanently sitting next to him.

I haven't spoken to him at all except to greet him when we are at the table or when I pass him in the hall. He always gives me the same answer in the same cold, monotonous voice, as if I'm a nuisance to his existence.

Two days after I arrived, I met Inayah. I remember Aunty Salmah mentioning her on my first day here but I didn't ask. Inayah was a three-year-old girl. She was quiet when you first meet her but playful after she warms up to you. She had light skin and really dark eyes that were framed by her long lashes. She was a really cute child and loved making me and Asma play with her long hair. She could also manipulate people easily with her big brown eyes. Eyes that were so familiar. Ya Muhammad's eyes. Inayah was his daughter.

When Asma told me I couldn't keep the shock off my face. He had a daughter? He was married? How come I had never seen his wife before? Asma laughed at all my questions but quickly sobered up.

"Ya Muhammad was married about five years ago. His wife, Maryam, died two years after their marriage. Inayah was about 10 months. He moved back here, although he has his own chalet outside." She explained and a sadness washed over me. "He doesn't like talking about her, especially in front of Inayah, so don't mention it." I nodded my head.

I never would have guessed he would be married. He has too much of a sour attitude for me to ever imagine him actually fall in love, but I guess I was wrong. Inayah has her own room here, right next to mine, but sometimes she spends the night with her father. She sits with us for dinner and breakfast, and always on her father's lap. Such a daddy's girl.

She's in my room right now even. I'm braiding her hair on the dressing table and putting it in an updo she showed me from YouTube. She actually wanted Asma to do it, since she wasn't used to me yet, but Asma couldn't so I did. I keep seeing her glance at me in the mirror but I don't look at her cause I knew she would get shy.

"I'm done. You look so pretty." I gush at her as I finish.

"Thank you." She says as she smiles at herself in the mirror.

"Daddy's princess kenan." Asma glances over from my bed.

"I have to show daddy." She jumps down from the chair and runs out of my room, but less than a second she's back and tugging on my hand.

"What is it Inayah?" I ask her with a chuckle.

"Show daddy." She giggles as she drags me.

Show daddy? No. Daddy meant Ya Muhammad. No.

"No Inayah. You go show daddy alone." I try to pull my hand away but she grips unto it tighter and pouts at me.

"Pwueeze." She says in her baby voice. I couldn't resist her big brown puppy eyes.

I let out a sigh, "Fine." She lets out a big smile and drag me away with her.

We cross the huge hallway and spot Ya Muhammad coming out of Aunty Salmah's room. He's in his normal black suit with a scowl on his face but it softens the moment his gaze lands on Inayah. She releases my hand and runs full-force towards her father.