Chapter 10

"You're house is really nice Hamma." I tell him as he gives me a tour. It's a cute flat in this huge estate. The driver already knew the way. It had one living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms and even a study for Hamma's work. It was definitely a bachelor pad. With grey and white tones around the whole house. The kitchen had sleek marble countertops and so did every bathroom in the house. The interior designer/ architect in me was drooling over the layout of it.

"Of course it's nice. I live in it."  He says with a cocky smirk.

"Modesty, Hamma." I shake my head with a smile.

"You know I'm not like that." He collapses on the couch in his living room, and I sit next to him. He switches on the TV and switches the channel to ball.

"When are you even getting married? I'm tired of waiting." I push his shoulder as I tease him.

"Ni kam ki bani. When the time comes, you will know. Maybe, you'll even get married before me." He waggles his eyebrows at me. (Leave me alone.)

"No. I have to be a single lady at your wedding."

"Why?" He glances away from the TV to look at me.

"Don't you know I'm a hot babe." I tease him. "At that time, I'll be old enough to get married now."

"Abeg don't talk to me about my baby sister getting married especially to someone I know." He shudders.

"It could be one of your friends."

"Deedee." He looks at me.

"Yes."

"Shut up."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

I just finished praying Maghrib and now I'm in the kitchen trying to cook something for me and Hamma to eat. I know he likes the creamy pasta I make, but that takes time, and he barely has anything in his fridge, so I just make us normal spaghetti with sauce. I make enough that he can have leftovers and use it again. He refuses to have a dining room because 'it makes him look old' so I just serve us on plates and pass him his as we sit on the floor and eat.

"Allah na. I've missed your cooking, Deedee. I could never." He says with his mouth full.

"I've heard now shut up and eat your food." We eat together and he asks me more about school.

"Oh, I met your friend." I mention to him.

"Who?" He asks still eating.

"Khalil." I say and he freezes.

"Where did you see him?" He asks turning to look at me.

"In my school, he's doing his masters. Don't you know that?" I ask suspiciously. I thought they were still friends.

"We just haven't spoken in a while." He shrugs.

"Yeah, he mentioned that." I peek a look at him to seem casual. "Are you guys no longer friends?"

"We are just not as close as before, but we are. He just has his issues." Hamma says.

"Oh. I heard about his wife."

"Yeah, their divorce was very dramatic." He goes to take his plate to the kitchen.

"I probably shouldn't talk to him about that then."

"Yeah, you shouldn't. Just be careful around him, yeah? He's my friend but you're my priority."

I watch him as he washes his plate and motions me to bring mine over. I take it and he starts washing it while I wipe the plates and put them back in the cupboard.