Chapter 17

Madeenah's POV

"What do you plan to do after you're done with your degree?" Anty Rumaisa asked me as I served her food that I had brought with me.

It wasn't easy finding ingredients to cook Jollof rice in the UK. Anty Rumaisa had mentioned that she and Baba have been craving it and were tired of eating bland English food. I decided to cook it for them today, since we were leaving tomorrow.

I picked up the plate and set it in front of her, "I want to work in an architectural firm, but I also do love interior design."

"You can't do both?" She asks.

"I can but it would be difficult." I tap Inayah who is on her iPad and point to her food which she starts eating.

"You should always do what you love." Anty Rumaisa says as she takes a bite of the rice. She hums to herself as she chews. "Madeenah your hands are blessed. It's very good that it is reminding me of home." She laughs as she reaches for another bite.

"Thank you." I blush and duck my head.

"Just leave the architecture and become a chef." She jokes and we both laugh just as Ya Muhammad and Hiba enter the room.

My gaze catches on him like it usually does the moment he enters a room. He is too much of a man not to be noticed. He's wearing his usual black suit that makes his shoulders look so broad. His dark eyes slide to my light ones and stay there for two seconds before I snatch them away to look at Hiba who's staring at me with a hard look.

I haven't spoken to him much since he threatened me in our hotel suite. It's harder to avoid him when our suite is small, but luckily, he barely stays inside and is always out attending meetings or something. I spent the past two days just watching movies with Inayah and playing with barbie dolls, facetiming Asma, and chatting with Hafsa. Hamma barely has my time with the workload he has on him.

Inayah looks up at her dad and smiles then goes back to watching her iPad. She is still a little wary of him after that day but she's getting over it, especially since he has been spoiling her with gifts. He greets Umma then checks to see if Baba is awake. Apparently, he is, so Ya Muhammad enters. Hiba takes a bite of the rice on her mom's plate and hums exactly like her mom did.

"Which restaurant did you order from?" She asks.

"Madeenah made it. It's good right." She smiles at me, but I still don't miss the look her daughter gave me.

Anty Rumaisa and I keep talking about different things while Hiba scrolled on her phone. Ya Muhammad comes out after a while and calls in Inayah to say bye to her grandfather. She drops her iPad and walks into the room. Anty Rumaisa ushers me to enter too and say my goodbyes. I reluctantly do so.

He looks so much weaker than when we first came. He's finding it harder to breathe as he wheezes with the oxygen mask over his face. Inayah carefully hugs him to avoid all the tubes poking out of him. He smiles weakly at her as she drops a kiss on his forehead.

"I love you grandpa." She says softly.

He couldn't speak but you could see him trying to mouth the same thing back to her. He looks over at me standing by the door looking foolish, and carefully raises his hand towards me. I stand there confused for a few moments before I step forward and grab his rough hand. He softly squeezes my hands, stretches his other hand to Ya Muhammad who takes it, then does the most unexpected thing. He places Ya Muhammad's hand over mine and sandwiches our joined hands in between his.

I had never touched him before. His hands are calloused, but soft at the same time. They're cold too and his big palm covers up my entire hand. I quickly remove my hand from under his when Baba releases us, but I can still feel his stare on my face. I smile at Baba then step away and walk out of the room still jarred by what just happened.