Chapter 10: Follow the Spiders

At last, Lucius stood up, and Fudge and Dumbledore followed him out the door. Before Hagrid left, he said to the empty room: "If anyone wanted to find out some stuff, all they would have to do is follow the spiders. That's all I'm sayin'. And someone will have to feed Fang while I'm gone." Then he shut the door, and I could finally breathe again. We threw the Invisibility Cloak off, and I sat down, because standing still for so long made me almost pass out.
"We're in trouble now," Ron said. "With no Dumbledore, they might as well close the school tonight. "There will be an attack a day."
We went quickly  back to Hogwarts, and straight to our dormitories. I opened and closed the door silently, and while I was almost making a plan in my head again, I fell asleep.

The days after, there was a fearful feeling around the school. Especially with the headmaster gone. Hagrid had told us to follow the spiders, but we looked everywhere we could, but there were no spiders left. After Hermione had been Petrified, everyone started to doubt that Harry was the heir of Slytherin. Everyone knew they were friends and that he would never harm her. Ernie even came to apologize to Harry.

But at Herbology, we noticed the small spiders crawling over the floor again.
Harry pointed at them, and Ron said: "We can't follow them now."
It was true. We couldn't walk alone without a teacher.
"Looks like they're heading into the Forbidden Forest," Harry said. I had never been there before, but Harry, Hermione and Neville had been. It sounded dangerous. But it also sounded like adventure.
"We can use the Invisibility Cloak again," Harry told us. "And we'll take Fang with us, he has been there with Hagrid before, so he could be some help."
"Aren't there supposed to be werewolves in there?" Ron asked nervously.
"There are also good things, like unicorns and centaurs," Harry answered.

Lockhart was as enthusiastic and energetic as always, unlike all the other teachers.
"Why the long faces?" he asked. "The darkness has passed. The culprit has been taken away!"
"Says who?" Dean said.
"My dear, the Minister of Magic wouldn't have taken Hagrid away if he was one hundred percent guilty," Lockhart said, as if he knew Hagrid was a bad guy all along.
"Oh yes he would," Ron said clearly.
"I think I know a bit more about Hagrid's arrest then you do, mr Weasley."
Harry kicked him under the table, and I gave him the look. We were never at his house.
Harry scribbled something on a paper, let me have a look at it and then passed it to Ron.
'Let's do it tonight.'
I nodded, and with hesitation, Ron nodded too.

I later got the chance to tell Neville about, and just as I expected, he didn't want to go.
"Be careful, Jynx," he said. "It's dangerous out there. I don't want to lose you."
"I'll be okay, trust me," I smiled. "But don't tell anyone, okay?"
Neville nodded.
Later that evening, when everyone was asleep, Ron, Harry and I met in the common room again, with the Invisibility Cloak, and just like last time, we dodged all the teachers to make our way outside.
We got to Hagrid's house, which looked empty and lonely. Harry opened the door and Fang came out, running and very happy to see us.
"Come on, Fang, we're going for a walk." We left the cloak in Hagrid's house, because there was going to be no need for it. We would have enough trouble making our way through the dark forest.
"Lumos," Harry whispered, and at the end of his wand appeared a small light.
"Good idea," I said, and lighted my wand as well.
Ron chose not to light his wand, which was probably a good idea, because it was still not working right.
"Look," Harry pointed. Small spiders crawled into the forest.
"Okay, I'm ready," Ron sighed. "Let's go."
"Me too," I sighed as well. I had no idea what we could expect there.

Into the Forbidden Forest we went, with Fang, and two small lights from our wands. We noticed nothing special for about twenty minutes. We listened and walked carefully, following the spiders, but there was nothing.
Not long after, Harry suddenly jumped backwards.
"What?" I said, with my eyes wide open. Harry sighed.
"Nothing. Just Fang."
I rolled my eyes. The forest was getting thicker and darker, and it was harder to see the spiders. Or to see anything.
In the silence, we got startled very fast by noises. So Fang started barking loudly at some point, so we all jumped.
"What's going on?" I ask, and the four of us got closer to each other.
"Something is moving over there," Harry whispered. "Something big. Listen."
We listened, and there was a sound indeed, coming our way.
Ron started to panic.
"Oh no, oh no..."
"Shut up, it'll hear you," Harry whispered angrily.
"Hear me?" Ron said in a voice that became higher by the second. "It's already heard Fang!"
We stood still as we waited.
"Shouldn't we, like, run?" I suggested.
No one answered, but we started slowly walking backwards.
Then there was a light that blinded our eyes, so I shut them instantly.
"Harry!" Ron shouted with...relief in his voice? "Jynx! It's our car!"
I almost chuckled because we got scared of a car.
We took the even more scared Fang with us to the light.
"Your car can drive itself?" I asked. This must have been the flying car they had crashed with into the Whomping Willow.
"Apparently," Harry answered.