Chapter 8: Buckbeak's Execution

Later, when we were back at the castle, I heard Harry had to go to Snape and Lupin, but Lupin had let him go, but took the Marauder's Map. Hermione came to Ron, Harry and me, with tears blinking in her eyes.
"Have you come to gloat?" Ron said angrily, not paying attention to her face. "Or did you tell on us?"
"No," Hermione said with a shaking voice. "I just thought you should know. Hagrid lost his case. Buckbeak is going to be executed."
"What?" I said, as if I didn't hear it clearly. "They can't do that!"
Tears now rolled over Hermione's cheeks. "He sent me this."
She gave me a letter, and I read aloud:

"Dear Hermione,
We're lost. I'm allowed to bring him to Hogwarts. Execution date to be fixed. Beaky has enjoyed London. I won't forget all the help you gave us.
Hagrid"

"They can't do this," Harry said. "Buckbeak isn't dangerous."
"Of course he isn't!" I said. "We both flew on him, because we did as Hagrid told us. Malfoy just had to be stupid like he is, otherwise Buckbeak would never have attacked! And it's not like he died."
"Lucius Malfoy frightened the Commitee into it," Hermione said. "You know how he is. And the Commitee are all scared of him. There'll be an appeal, but I can't see any hope. It won't change it."
"Yes it will," Ron said, suddenly sounding strong. "You won't have to do it alone, Hermione. I'll help."
"Oh Ron!"
Unexpectedly, Hermione broke down in tears and flung her arms around Ron. He looked very surprised and awkwardly patted on her head. He seemed relieved when she let of go of him.
"I'm really, really sorry about Scabbers," Hermione said.
"Well, he was old, and a bit useless. You know, maybe mom and dad will get me an owl now."
I smiled. I was glad Ron and Hermione finally made up.

We couldn't visit Hagrid anymore because of all the security, which was a bummer, because Hagrid was all alone now, spending his time with Buckbeak, knowing it wouldn't last long.

During Care of Magical Creatures, though, we could talk to him.
"Don't give up!" Ron said to him. "There's still the appeal!"
"It's no good, Ron," Hagrid said sadly. "I just gotta make sure Buckbeak has the happiest time now."
Hagrid went back to his cabin, in tears.
"Look at him blubber!" Malfoy said, who had appeared with Crabbe and Goyle behind us.
"He's pathetic! And he's supposed to be our teacher?"
I gave him a deathstare, Ron and Harry went his way, but Hermione was faster. She punched him in the face with everything she had.
Malfoy stumbled backwards, stunned at what just happened.
I gave a laugh. I did not see that coming.
"Don't you dare call him pathetic, you foul, evil cockroach!" she yelled, holding out her wand to him.
I just watched with my mouth half open. This was definitely not something I would see Hermione doing.
Malfoy and his friends escaped.
"Hermione!" Ron said, almost proud.

~

There followed a couple normal schoolweeks, although we had to study hard for the upcoming exams. When I wasn't in the common room studying with Neville, who needed a lot of help, especially after what we had been through, I was in the library with Luna, or playing Gobstones with Cedric. Gobstones was a game where you had to try to win all the stones from the other. When you lost a point, the stone would spray a vile liquid at you. It was quite enjoyable, though.

"You are spending a lot of time with Cedric, lately," Harry noticed once, when we left the common room to go to our class.
"Yeah, so?" I said, trying very hard not to blush. "We're just friends. I spend a lot of time with you as well."
"You have a point there, but I see you more as a sibling."
"We could as well be," I chuckled. "You're the godson of my father."
"Shh," Harry poked me, lowering his voice. "We don't know that, remember?"
"Yeah, that's kind of hard to let go."
"I know," he said. "I still have a bad feeling about all of it."
"Me too."