Chapter 5: Games and Mirrors

It was the day of the Quidditch game. Harry had been looking nervous the entire day. Gryffindor would be playing against Slytherin. I had just heard from Harry that for some reason Snape was limping, and we all guessed that he was after whatever the dog was guarding.

At the match, I sat next to Hermione and Neville after I had wished Harry, Fred and George goodluck. They would need it against the Slytherins. Harry was the Seeker, so basically all he had to do was search for a tiny golden ball with wings and catch it before the game ended. Then that would mean a guaranteed win for us. In the meantime, the others were playing the actual game.

I was cheering alongside my friends and brother, and Hagrid had joined us in the meantime. Then something strange happened. Harry broom started vibrating and makes weird moves. It looked like it was trying to knock Harry off. If only he wouldn't fall off like Neville... He was way higher up and could break more than only his wrist. Not long after, people started to notice that something was going on with Harry's broomstick.
Hagrid told us that only powerful Dark Magic could do things like that to a broom. Hermione grabbed Hagrid's glasses, through which she peered into the crowd.

"I knew it!" she said. "It's Snape. He's doing something, jinxing the broom."
She looked quickly at me.
"Sorry, it wasn't personal."
"No, it's okay." I took the glasses. "Now that is an example of evil jinxing."

"Come on!" Hermione said to Ron. She looked at me.
"I'll stay here," I answered her look. She nodded and pushed along with Ron her way through the crowd. From a distance, with Hagrid's glasses, I could still see Snape muttering words while keeping a fixed eye on Harry. Hermione had taken out her wand and whispered a few words. Snape's cape lit on blue fire immediately.
Then they wormed themselves through the crowd back to us. Snape had lost control of Harry when he noticed his clothes were on fire. The boy flew normal again and the game continued.

I was still confused. Why did Snape try to curse Harry's broomstick?
After minute later Harry flew straight to the ground, slapped his hand over his mouth, and landed rather hard on the ground. It looked like he was going to throw up. He then spit out something. It was the Snitch, aka the golden ball. He had nearly swallowed it. Everyone cheered and applauded when he held it above his hand, because he had caught it anyhow.

A few hours later, when Harry, Ron and Hermione had been to Hagrid's, they came to me with some information they had got out of Hagrid accidentally. It was cold, and I sat by the campfire in the common room, with the three kids.
They told me that the Cerberus was apparently called Fluffy, and was Hagrid's. He was indeed guarding something beneath that trapdoor and only Dumbledore, himself and someone called Nicolas Flamel knew what it was. That meant we had to find out who exactly this Nicolas Flamel was.

~

When the Christmas holiday's arrived, my mother told my brother and me in a letter that we 'unfortunately' couldn't come home because she was busy with certain things. Of course, Neville and I were not sad about that at all, because all we wanted was to stay away from our mother as long as possible. We also knew that that wasn't possible in the summer holiday, so that would mean hell.
Harry was staying too, because his uncle and aunt didn't exactly want him, and Ron and his brothers were staying too.
Our mother always gave us such cringy presents for Christmas and our birthday, so didn't expect something amazing this year either.

Before the holidays had started, I helped the trio search for Nicolas Flamel in the library books. Without letting them know, I also searched for how to Apparate, and things about visions. But I was going to need more time on my own. I didn't want to let them know what I was up to.
Hermione would be going home, and I discovered that her parents were both Muggles.