28

"Hey mom, when are you coming back?" Jennie was on a call with her mom. "I had planned to come back today, but Aunt Yena wanted me to stay a few more days," she explained.

"That sounds fun! Why don't you stay a few more days and spend some time with them? You don't go to see them often too," Jennie replied, hoping to convince her to not come back for at least a day more.

"Yes dear, but you just came back from that big quiz. You also won! It wouldn't be nice that I'm not there to congratulate you!" She showed her disappointment for not being there.

"It's alright mom! We have an off tomorrow, I'll be out for a sleepover with Esther, we'll be celebrating at hers!" She lied. There was no celebration party at all, let alone a sleepover at Esther's.

"That's good then! Are you sure it's okay?" She asked one more time just to be sure. "Yes mom! You focus on enjoying with Aunty okay?" She rapidly talked, wanting to end the conversation soon and get into work.

~

"Yeah, so after that she said she won't be coming today. Not till tomorrow evening at least," she narrated the story to Taehyung as he slipped on his sweater over his comfortable clothes.

"You shouldn't have lied to her because of me..." He said in a low tone. "That's alright. Even if she knew, she would understand"

Later, Jennie cooked some lunch for them and served it on the table. The aroma brought back the warm feeling of being home to Tae.

"You don't know how much this means to me. It has been ages since I ate actual food" Taehyung gazed at his food on the table.

"What? Why?" She asked confused. "I usually just ate instant food since I didn't have much money left for groceries," he explained. "Then where did your money go? Wait you work at a job?" She had a lot of questions to ask.

"Yeah. I work at a bar, 7.30pm to 12am then at a supermarket from 5pm to 7pm. Both part time and less income. But whatever it brings in is enough to survive" he nodded with a hint of regret.

"But you had been coming over for tutoring for about 3 days?"

"Yeah, my manager fired me last week," he smiled sheepishly, little embarrassed to admit.

"Why did you have to take up two jobs though? I suppose the bar pays high" she put a piece of food in her mouth, her eyes focused on him.

"I um... Needed to buy all those protection for my business at college," he hid his face with the hand he held his chopsticks with.

"Oh..." She stopped there. It was too weird to talk about it anymore. They finished their lunch in silence.

"Thanks for the lunch. You cook so well, I could eat it everyday!" Taehyung complimented as she did the dishes. He leaned on the counter, looking around the kitchen and exploring where different ingredients were placed.

"I had to learn cooking when my parents were in the court and my nanny didn't know how to prepare meals," she gave away a piece of her life experience.

"Court? Why?" "They got divorced when I was 15," she answered in brief. Taehyung decided it would be the best if he didn't dig up more into the matter.

"Cool. Uh- Can I watch TV or something?" He asked, when she nodded, he sat in the living room, trying to find something to watch.

Jennie could see him from the kitchen. She finished the kitchen chores and wiped her hands on the apron. She stood there in silence, watching him. He had put in cartoons, since there was nothing else good to watch.

Afternoon was starting to slip away, Evening had began to show.

~

"I'm leaving for work now. I'll be back by 12," Taehyung waved at her and took off on his bike. Closing the door behind her, Jennie went to her room to fix her room and get it ready for them to sleep. She didn't know where she would ask him to sleep, so she prepared the guest bedroom instead.