A War We Never Belonged In

Disclaimer: This is a work of fan fiction based on multiple existing anime/manga series. The characters and settings used in this story belong to their respective owners and creators, and no copyright infringement is intended. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and is not intended to infringe upon any existing intellectual property. I do not own any of the original works that inspired this fanfiction, and I fully support the original creators and their works.

(Warning Extremely Brutal and Morally Questionable Stuff Will Be Depicted, Hinted at, or Shown. Read at your own discretion. Also Psychological elements, manipulation and other not so family friendly stuff. Really, read at your own discretion.)

(A special thanks to Glorious4EyedKing, Splingosplongo, and Honoured_Writer for the unpaid labor of reading this chapter beforehand. Unpaid because if I don't get money, then no one does... Without further ado! Enjoy the chappie!)

-Story Start-

-Akira POV-

Our hurried steps and leaps shook the very ground we launched from.

The sense of urgency, a recurring theme this entire operation, invalidates the need for obscurity or subtlety.

'Hurry. They in danger. Faceless Stronger. Than Before.' Whiskers reports.

... I know.

I nod stoically, commanding, 'Sacrifice yourself if necessary, I know where you are. All available nearby Whiskers head towards Naruto and Sasuke's location. Explode, distract. Anything that works to buy some time.'

My words were directed at Kakashi who was beside me, yet my eyes never left the path forward, "We're a couple of minutes away... Kakashi-sensei be ready to cover me. Faceless has grown stronger, they're lives are in danger. I'll summon Rudolph to heal them immediately, any disruption will not allow me to heal them with the few seconds I've got."

"Obviously," Kakashi stated steely.

We ran for a couple more minutes, as the familiar sounds of combat echoed from afar.

Explosions, multiple of them.

'Sasuke knocked. Out. Sacrificing. Ourselves.'

My connection with Whiskers had also been lost at that very moment.

Several other Whiskers have perished as well.

...This is bad.

That was Kakashi's cue to speed up, surpassing me in speed as he left me in the dust.

He no longer needed my directions.

Without warning he threw Pakkun towards me, whom I absentmindedly caught.

"I'm also out of tricks, so I'll be in your care," Pakkun states with a hint of resignation, his tone betraying the weight of our situation.

I resist the urge to retort, instead silently placing him on my shoulder.

Roughly two minutes later, I find myself on the main street of Shintaku No Machi.

The aftermath of destruction surrounds us - An eerie blend of toppled stalls, charred remnants of homes, and debris strewn across the shattered pavement.

A loud explosion echoed in my ears, as the figures of Kakashi and a blonde woman blurred, fighting on the walls of a building.

"HAHAHAHAHAHHA! IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE WE'VE FOUGHT KAKASHI-KUN!" She roared with laughter, as Kakashi overwhelmed her with Taijutsu.

She was completely on the defensive, as Kakashi struck with silent, composed fury.

...She has a new face then.