She's Yours

Miranda Bailey strode through the bustling halls of Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital, her mind racing with the never-ending list of tasks awaiting her attention. As Chief of Surgery, her days were typically a whirlwind of surgeries, consultations, and administrative duties. But today, her routine was about to take an unexpected turn.

Just as she was about to step into her office, her pager buzzed urgently. With a sigh, she glanced down at the screen, only to see the code for the Obstetrics Department flashing in bright red digits. Frowning in curiosity, she swiftly changed direction, her footsteps echoing down the corridor as she made her way to OB.

Miranda hurriedly made her way to the OB ward, her mind racing with the possibilities of what could require her immediate attention there. As she entered the bustling maternity unit, a nurse approached her, concern etched on her face.

Upon arrival, a nurse approached her with a grave expression. "Dr. Bailey, we have a situation. There's a mother who just gave birth, and she's asking to speak with you immediately."

Miranda nodded, her heart pounding as she followed the nurse to the patient's room. Upon entering, she found herself face to face with a young woman, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and determination.

"Dr. Bailey, thank you for coming," the young woman said, her voice trembling slightly.Miranda's brow furrowed in confusion. She searched her memory, trying to place the face before her. Then, like a bolt of lightning, it hit her. She remembered this young woman from years ago, a patient she had cared for when she was just a resident in pediatrics.

"Rachel?" Miranda whispered, hardly daring to believe her eyes.

The young woman nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "Yes, it's me. I... I need your help, Dr. Bailey."

Miranda took a deep breath, her mind racing as she tried to process the situation. "Of course, Rachel. What can I do for you?"

Rachel hesitated for a moment before speaking, her voice barely above a whisper. "I just gave birth... to a baby girl. But I... I can't keep her. I'm not ready to be a mother."

Miranda's heart went out to the young woman before her. She remembered Rachel as a resilient and determined child, facing challenges with strength beyond her years. But now, seeing her vulnerable and scared, Miranda felt a surge of maternal instinct kick in.

"Rachel, it's okay," Miranda said gently, reaching out to place a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You're not alone in this. We'll figure out the best course of action together."

Tears streamed down Rachel's cheeks as she nodded, relief flooding her features. "Thank you, Dr. Bailey."

Miranda smiled, her heart heavy with the weight of the situation yet filled with determination to help this young woman through it. "You're welcome, Rachel. Now, let's get you the support you need."

"Dr. Bailey," Rachel began, her voice quivering "I know this might sound crazy, but... I want you to adopt my baby. She's yours, all you have to do is say yes."

Miranda's eyes widened in surprise, her heart skipping a beat at the unexpected request. Adopt her baby? The proposition was so unexpected, so monumental, that it took her a moment to find her voice.

"Rachel... are you sure about this?" Miranda asked, her tone a mixture of shock and concern.

Rachel nodded, her eyes pleading. "Yes, Dr. Bailey. I've thought about it a lot. I want my baby to have a good life, a better life than I can give her right now. And I trust you. I know you'll take care of her."

Miranda felt a lump form in her throat as she listened to Rachel's words. The weight of the responsibility being thrust upon her was immense, and yet, there was also a glimmer of hope stirring within her.