Drop Out

(Spoilers if you aren't caught up on Station 19)

As they drove away from the fire station, Joey couldn't shake the knot of anxiety twisting in his stomach. He watched the passing scenery with a mixture of guilt and apprehension.

"Hey, Ben" Joey finally broke the tense silence, his voice trembling slightly. "Do you think Miranda will be really mad?"

Ben glanced at his son, his expression softening with understanding. "She'll be upset, Joey," he admitted, his tone gentle yet firm. "But she loves you. We both do. We'll figure this out together."

Joey nodded, his fingers fidgeting nervously in his lap. He knew his parents loved him, but he couldn't shake the fear of disappointing them. Taking a deep breath, he mustered the courage to speak. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to let you guys down."

Ben placed a reassuring hand on Joey's shoulder, offering a small, understanding smile. "You tried to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, Joey. You wanted to fix all the problems of the world by yourself. I have been there with the whole anesthesiologist to surgeon to firefighter thing. And Miranda was pretty upset with me each switch....but she came around to support me, because she loves me. That's the kind of woman she is."

Joey forced a weak smile, grateful for the support but still dreading the upcoming conversation. He knew Miranda had high hopes for his future, and admitting that he had quit college without even consulting her would be a huge blow.

As they pulled into the driveway, Joey's stomach churned with nerves. He took a deep breath, trying to summon the courage to face Miranda. Ben turned off the engine and turned to Joey, his expression serious but understanding.

"Just be honest with her. And when she stares you down, well son, good luck, Joey." 

 With a deep breath, Joey opened the car door and stepped out, his heart pounding in his chest. Together, father and son walked up the path to the front door, their footsteps echoing in the quiet afternoon. Joey paused, his hand hovering over the doorknob, his mind racing with a thousand different scenarios. Steeling himself, he pushed open the door and stepped inside, his legs feeling like jelly as he walked towards the sound of Miranda's voice. Ben followed closely behind, his presence offering Joey a sense of strength.

Miranda was in the kitchen when they entered, her back turned as she chopped vegetables for dinner. She turned around, a smile lighting up her face when she saw them. "Hey, you two," she greeted, wiping her hands on her apron. "Dinner will be ready soon."

Pru looked up from her coloring, her eyes brightening at the sight of her brother. "Joey" she exclaimed.

Tuck glanced up from his homework, offering a small nod of acknowledgment before returning his focus to his studies.

Ben exchanged a glance with Joey, silently urging him to speak up. Joey swallowed hard, his throat suddenly dry as he tried to find the right words.

"Miranda," he began, his voice wavering slightly. "There's something I need to tell you."

Miranda's smile faltered slightly at the seriousness in Joey's tone. "What is it?" she asked gently, reaching out to place a comforting hand on his arm.

"Don't tell her while she has a knife" Ben whispered in Joey's ear 

With a nod Joey looked back at Miranda Joey shifted uncomfortably, his heart racing as he struggled to find the right words. "Um, can you... can you sit down, please?"

Miranda furrowed her brow in confusion, but nodded nonetheless, pulling out a chair at the table and taking a seat. Joey followed suit, his hands trembling slightly as he clasped them together in his lap. He glanced at his mom, his throat tight with apprehension.