Name Change II

Pru approached Ben and Miranda. They were sitting together on the couch, and as Pru settled herself between them, Miranda instinctively wrapped her arms around her, holding her close just like she used to when Pru was little.

Ben and Miranda exchanged a glance of concern seeing her expression was serious and determined.

"What's on your mind, sweetheart?" Miranda asked gently

Pru took a deep breath, steeling herself for the question she needed to ask. "Why did my dad want you to raise me if something happened to him?" she inquired, her voice steady despite the emotions swirling inside her.

Ben and Miranda shared a brief moment of surprise at Pru's question. They had made sure to explain this to her when she was younger, but Pru seemed insistent on hearing it again.

"Sweetheart, you already know why," Ben began, his tone gentle but firm. "Your dad loved you more than anything in the world. He wanted to make sure you were taken care of, no matter what."

Miranda nodded in agreement, brushing a gentle hand through Pru's hair. "Your dad knew that Ben and I would love you and care for you just like he did," she added, her voice soft with emotion.

Pru listened carefully, her heart heavy with the weight of her father's absence. She had always known why Ben and Miranda were her guardians, but hearing it again somehow made it feel more real, more tangible.

"I know," Pru said quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. "I just needed to hear it again."

Ben's concern deepened as he looked into Pru's eyes, searching for any signs of distress. "Hey, Pruey, is everything okay?" he asked gently, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"Yeah, I'm okay," she replied softly, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. "I just... needed to talk about it, you know?"

Miranda, sensing there was more to Pru's words, asked softly, "Are you sure, honey?"

Pru took a deep breath, her gaze shifting between her parents. "I've been thinking about my name," she said, her voice steady but thoughtful.

Miranda's brow furrowed slightly in confusion. "What do you mean, sweetie?"

Pru hesitated for a moment, then continued. "My father named me something meaningful, and I'm really grateful for that. But I've been considering the possibility of adding my own meaning to my name too."

Ben and Miranda exchanged puzzled glances, trying to understand what Pru was getting at. "What are you saying, Pru?" Ben asked gently.

Pru took another deep breath, her heart pounding in her chest. "I want to add Warren to my last name.. "It's dad's last name, and I want to honor that connection, too."

Ben's eyes widened in surprise, and Miranda's hand flew to her mouth in an instinctive gesture of shock and emotion. They had always respected that Pru was Dean's daughter and so she was a Miller also they didn't really feel like another argument with his parents so they didn't change her name once she officially became theirs, but hearing her express this desire on her own was both unexpected and deeply touching.

"Pru, are you sure about this?" Miranda asked, her voice trembling slightly with emotion.

Pru nodded firmly. "Yes, I'm sure. It feels right to me," she said with conviction.

Ben's eyes softened, and he pulled Pru into a tight hug. "We're honored, Pru. If this is what you want, we'll support you all the way," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

Pru snuggled deeper into Miranda's arms, her voice soft as she asked, "Can I stay here and cuddle with you a bit longer, Mom?"

Miranda's heart melted at the request, and she held Pru tightly, her voice full of warmth. "Of course, sweetheart. I love cuddling with you."