A Connection

On their way back to the castle, Everly and Drexa walked together side by side. Dexa, who hated Blaise for his hatred against her kind and Everly, found out that he was not...all bad. As they talked, Draco and his friends walked past them with Blaise trailed behind, secretly giving them a wink.

"Okay, he wasn't...that bad," Drexa said, rather quietly. Just then, Jonathan came past them without saying a single word.

"Jonathan?" Everly tried her luck, but as she expected, he didn't spare her a glance. She noticed his face was paler than she remembered.

"What is up with everyone? First, Jonathan isn't like himself, and in exchange for that, we got Blaise," Drexa huffed, scratching her head for the weird occasion.

"Maybe that would be the answer to the," Everly leaned closer and whispered, "something bad happened like Sere had said? There's no way that'd be a coincidence..."

"No, I beg Merlin, that isn't true. Oh well, if it is, then it would take a few Slytherin's to change for the good, but no, I'm not ready yet to see the day Malfoy suddenly becomes nice to us," she said as she grimaced.

They went separate ways once they got into their dorms. Everly was hoping someone in particular was in the Common Room by the time she arrived, but no. Everyone was chattering excitedly, and Gillian Bathome was the first to notice her and waved at her.

"Hiya, Everly! Had a nice break?," she asked rather enthusiastically. She even helped the girl bring her trunks to her room, even though Everly said no...repeatedly.

"Oh, you know, too nice and too short of a break."

Gillian laughed.

"I get you. When you have the best time with your family, it feels too early to go back to school again."

"I know! That's what I was thinking."

After unpacking her things, Gillian helped her too and both went to the Common Room to meet up with their Housemates. Everyone seemed so cheerful and were exchanging stories with one another. Oftentimes, Everly would look around, full of hopes she would see both of them standing in one corner but they weren't there. That was odd.

Gillian saw the faraway look in Everly's eyes when she looked around. Too familiar with who she was looking for. She scooted closer to her. They were lounging on the couch, while the others sprawled on the floor, a few were standing by the fireplace, chatting.

"Looking for someone, I guess?," Gillian teased, wiggling her brows.

Everly chuckled lightly and shook her head, "Is it that obvious?" A smile tugged on her lips.

Gillian sighed dramatically. Everly whirled around to see her.

"Do you see Jonathan around?"

The teasing smile on Gillian's face slowly faded, and Everly knew something had happened to him. As Everly quickly sat closer to her, Gillian burst out laughing, knowing well enough that Everly wanted to know. She looked around for a bit before whispering, "A few days after our break started, I heard from my family that uh..."

It seemed like it was hard for her to say it but she knew Everly was one of Jonathan's closest friends, and Everly has the right to know. She swallowed the lump in her throat.

"His father was one of the Death Eaters."

Everly gasped, covering her mouth with her hand. "You can't be serious?"

Gillian nodded.

"But...that's impossible," Everly squeaked, fiddling with her fingers, "his parents, he told us his parents are Muggles, just like mine."

"Did he ever tell you his father is half-blood?"

The girl went quiet for a while, recalling back the memories if Jonathan ever told them about it, but nothing emerged.

"I guess he didn't want you guys to know," said Gillian with a sad smile and she continued.

"My brother worked for Jonathan's father. That day, my brother came to work, his father looked miserable and left early, way earlier than usual. The next day, we got news, Jonathan's baby brother had died."

For the second time, a gasp, so loud that escaped from her, Everly had to cover her mouth quickly. A few of their friends turned their heads around to see for a bit before continuing chatting.

The realization hit Everly like a cold water splashed on her for a quick second.

'It all started when I saw a baby car seat in the guy's car who looked like he'd been shouting on the phone the whole time. I think we need to find them, Everly. Something's not sitting right with me when I see him.'

Drexa's words suddenly rang deep in her mind. She needed to see her now.

"Everly? Where you going??"

"I need to find Drexa!"

Gillian can't stop her when Everly dashed to the door. Everly was rushing quickly down the stairs and bumped hard into someone. She shrieked as she fell over and their hands wrapped around her waist pulling her back.

"You're okay," they whispered, and Everly opened her eyes to see Cedric behind her, his arms still lingering on her waist. Her heartbeat increased rapidly but her mind flew back to Drexa.

"Thank you, Cedric, but I have to go," she smiled apologetically and went away, leaving him wondering. Cedric only saw her disappearing around the halls, and debating with himself whether he needed to join her or let her be. He had made the promise to Amos that he won't be friends with the two girls no more, but the stubbornness inside of him bubbling out like a volcano erupting. He had never seen Everly rushing out like that, so it must be important, so important that Everly didn't have the time to talk to him.

You're a wimp, Cedric.