10

I heard the sound of wood clacking and opened my eyes. My well deep sleep was interrupted by hella noise making me groan in annoyance. That's nobody but Daddy and his cowboy friends working on stuff in the backyard. Good thing they in the back and not the front cause that would be hell trynna ride horses with Beyoncé in the field. Mommas attitude is the only thing we'll be running from all day.

It seemed like the clacking of that wood wouldn't stop anytime soon so I just got out the bed to start my day. I took care of my hygiene before walking out my room in my pajamas and house shoes. Momma was cooking cause I could smell it. Thank goodness, I didn't plan on making nothin for myself.  

When I got in the kitchen I saw her in her flared wrangler jeans and a red and white flannel. Her hair flowed down her back as her bracelets clacked together from her fast moving. She must be going somewhere today, all dressed up and stuff. 

I went to the fridge grabbing a glass bottle of water before flopping at the table. I'm so tired of hearing that wood and banging with hammers. It's not that much building in the world.

"Momma do Daddy gotta be doin this all day?"

"You know how ya father is now, Bunny. Don't act like this is new. Look...I need you to clean out the barn fa me today, alright?" She stopped with the food and came to sit across from me with a begging look. I had a look of disbelief and tiredness cause I know that's not what she want me to do when i'm damn near a zombie right now.

"I ain't in trouble Momma, why I gotta do it?"

"I'm just asking you to, Bunny, please. Not as a punishment but cause ya Momma asked you. Please?"

"Momma ion wanna do that." I whined throwing my head back and groaned. Why it gotta be the hardest job ever? If she would've asked me to clean the field, it would've been better.... The barn is all hot and stinky. Imma die in there. That's why she not gonna do it herself, she know how it feel inside. 

"Please, Bunny? I got somebody coming over in two days, it gotta be done. I'll get ya somethin if I gotta."

"Mommy..."

"Please?"

I huffed looking at my glass water. Why she can't call her son? I'm sure he'll do it regardless. Hasani and Heaven never get called. They be acting like they all mighty but can't ask them twins fa nothin. It's always, "Onika," "Bunny."

"Bunny I wouldn't ask you to do it if I ain't really need it."

"This ain't fair! You should've had some more kids." I slumped in the chair. She chuckled nervously, scratching her neck like she was hiding something. This woman better not be pregnant. Her and daddy ain't that old either, so I wouldn't be surprised. "Imma clean it but Momma when I ask fa somethin ion wanna hear a no from your mouth."

"Alright. Wanna shake on it?"

"I gotta do it by myself? Or can I call a friend ta help me?" I raised an eyebrow. Momma don't play about people being over her house, so I had to ask. I'm surprised she even be lettin Beyoncé come round here with no worries.

"That's alright, Bunny. Not too many people."

"What if it's a boy?" I trailed a little low but she heard me. Her face dropped and her eyes squinted which only scared me a bit. She so badly wanted to go against it but i'm sure she realized she was asking me to do something I didn't wanna do.

"Bunny..."

"Yes, Momma?"

"Is this boy ya boyfriend?"