Chapter 44

As the day unfolded, the atmosphere at Moon's home grew increasingly tense, the absence of Francisco and Amelia casting a shadow over the once cheerful abode. Despite their anticipation and preparations, neither Francisco nor Amelia made an appearance, leaving Moon and her family in a state of perplexity and growing concern.

Throughout the day, whispers of speculation filled the air, as Moon's family and friends exchanged anxious glances and worried murmurs.

"I wonder where Francisco could be," Moon mused, her brow furrowed in worry.

"I hope everything's alright," Sophia chimed in, her voice tinged with concern.

Moon's mother, Mrs. Li, paced back and forth, her expression reflecting her growing anxiety. "This isn't like Francisco. He would never just disappear without a word."

Meanwhile, Fredrick, Juan, Brandon, and Maya gathered at their usual meeting spot, their worry evident in the creases that lined their brows.

"Have any of you heard from Francisco?" Fredrick asked, his voice laced with concern.

Juan shook his head. "Not a word. Something doesn't feel right."

Their hopes for answers were dashed, however, when Donna answered the call, her voice strained and guarded, forced by Amelia's influence to remain tight-lipped about Francisco's situation.

"Hello?" Donna's voice was hesitant, betraying the turmoil she felt.

"Donna, it's Fredrick. Have you heard from Francisco? We're worried about him," Fredrick said urgently.

Donna hesitated, her voice barely above a whisper. "I'm sorry, Fredrick. I can't say anything. Amelia... she's watching."

Juan's eyes narrowed as he exchanged a knowing glance with Fredrick. "Amelia's behind this. We need to find out what's going on."

With resolve in their hearts, F4 devised a daring plan to infiltrate Francisco's home under the cover of darkness, their determination to uncover the truth overriding any fears or doubts they may have harbored.

Sneaking through the shadows, they made their way to Francisco's house, their footsteps muffled by the night as they approached the familiar abode.

Their clandestine entry led them to a startling sight: Amelia standing vigil by Francisco's bedside, her presence a chilling reminder of the family tensions that had come to a head.

Despite Amelia's accusatory words and hostility, F4 stood their ground, unwavering in their loyalty to their friend and unwilling to back down in the face of adversity.

"I don't know what you're up to, but you need to leave," Amelia hissed, her eyes flashing with anger.

"We're not leaving until we know what's going on with Francisco," Fredrick said firmly, his voice steady with resolve.

Maya's mother's words echoed in her mind, each syllable laden with the weight of familial expectations and business alliances. As she listened to her mother's rationale behind the impending marriage to Francisco, Maya couldn't shake the feeling of being trapped in a web of obligation and duty.

"But Mom, I don't love Francisco," Maya protested, her voice tinged with desperation.

Her mother sighed, her expression softening with understanding. "I know, sweetheart. But sometimes, in our world, practicality must outweigh matters of the heart. Our family's businesses are struggling, and this marriage would provide much-needed stability and resources."

Maya's heart sank as she grappled with the harsh reality of her family's situation. She knew all too well the precariousness of their financial standing, and the pressure to uphold their legacy weighed heavily upon her shoulders.

"But what about my happiness?" Maya's voice trembled with emotion, her eyes pleading for understanding.

Her mother reached out, gently squeezing her hand. "Your happiness is important, Maya. But sometimes, sacrifices must be made for the greater good of our family."

Maya nodded, her resolve wavering as she reluctantly accepted the inevitability of her situation. Despite her misgivings, she knew she couldn't defy her family's wishes, not when the future of their businesses hung in the balance.

As she continued to try on wedding dresses, Maya couldn't shake the feeling of resignation that settled in the pit of her stomach. Caught between duty and desire, she struggled to reconcile her own happiness with the demands of her family's expectations.