Chapter 17

After bidding goodbye to his family, Taehyung drove Jungkook home. The car ride was quiet, the silence heavy with unspoken thoughts. Taehyung couldn't shake the question about Jungkook's past from his mind.

As they approached Jungkook's place, Taehyung finally spoke up. "Jungkook, can I ask you something?" His voice was softer than usual, lacking its typical arrogance.

Jungkook, who had been staring out the window, turned to look at Taehyung. "What is it?"

Taehyung hesitated for a moment, then asked, "Earlier, when my dad asked about your family... you seemed really uncomfortable. Is there something you're not telling me?"

Jungkook's expression darkened. "It's not your place to know about my family, Taehyung. This is a contract marriage, nothing more. Let's keep it that way."

Taken aback by the rudeness in Jungkook's tone, Taehyung's temper flared. "Fine," he snapped. "If that's how you want it, then that's how it will be. But remember, you're the one who signed the contract."

Jungkook glared at him. "I didn't have a choice, did I? You made sure of that."

Taehyung clenched his jaw, his knuckles white as he gripped the steering wheel. "Just remember your place, Jungkook. You're here because I need you to be. Don't make it harder than it has to be."

Jungkook turned to face him fully, eyes blazing. " O REALLY MR KIM TAEHYUNG !!!! I signed it because you left me no choice! My sister needed help, and you knew it. You exploited that and this statement never going to change ever "

Taehyung's jaw clenched. "I did what I had to do. And so did you. But that doesn't give you the right to act like you're the only one suffering here."

Jungkook's anger flared. "Oh, I'm sorry, is this hard for you, too? Poor little rich boy, forced to marry someone beneath him. Must be so tough."

Taehyung glared at him. "You don't know anything about me, Jungkook. Don't pretend you do."

"And you don't know anything about me," Jungkook shot back. "So let's just keep it that way."

The car pulled up to Jungkook's place, and he got out without another word, slamming the door behind him. Taehyung watched him go," Arrogant brat" he muttered under his breath.

As Taehyung drove away, his mind was a whirlwind of frustration and confusion. The more he interacted with Jungkook, the more complex his feelings became, tangled in a web of anger, respect, and something else he couldn't quite identify but his thoughts kept circling around the same question: Jungkook's parents. The anger from their argument slowly subsided, replaced by a nagging curiosity and a hint of guilt.

"Why does he react like that whenever his family is mentioned?" Taehyung wondered aloud, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "It's like there's something he's hiding, something painful."

He replayed the evening's events in his mind. Jungkook's sharp retorts, the sadness in his eyes when he thought no one was looking, the way he fiercely protected his sister Ji Ah.

"I'll figure it out," Taehyung promised himself. "One way or another, I'll get to the bottom of this."

As the night drew on, Taehyung and Jungkook found themselves in different worlds yet bound by the same uneasy thoughts.

Both boys, though seemingly at odds, were bound by their hidden vulnerabilities and unspoken desires for a better outcome. Taehyung's restless thoughts about Jungkook's history and Jungkook's unwavering resolve to protect his sister set the stage for a journey filled with challenges, revelations, and an unlikely connection.