Chapter 173: Guilt

[Tekoa Town]

It's been a few days since Rueben had been put into the position as captain of the town's brigade. Since then there had been new equipments funded by mayor Zoabi and even new members from the people chosen by mayor Zoabi himself. With the power over the security force of the town and even the power to enforce the laws, he is basically the de facto lawmaker of the town itself. Whatever he says was the law of the town.

It was the power and position he had dreamed of having aside from moving up the ranks as important officials within the towns politics. However despite all of this things at the palm of his hands, his deeds and reputation that he had made just to reach this spot can't he erased and ignored by people within mayor Zoabi's circle.

Basically since all his men are handpicked by the mayor himself, they all knew the underhanded means that Rueben had made just to reach his current power. Underhanded dealings with the special force, secret conversations with suspicious people, dirty deeds ordered by the mayor, abandoning his Captain at the crisis of danger, and even killing all his comrades in order to cover up his cowardice. With such deeds alone, he is literally one of the people who can be considered as dirty humans.

But due to his deeds his men who have gathered under his banner all are wary of him in the chance that he may backstab them or dispose of them when given a chance. In the eyes of his men, he is cruel, evil, and a person who can't be trusted at all.

Since he also has a track record of actually committing dirty deeds his own men held him accountable as they do as they please all over the town as they enforce their own hypocritical rule under the guise of his command. Due to this there were cases of the brigade doing extortion, destruction of property, lawlessness, and even sexual harassment, he can barely keep them under control. But whenever he tries to discipline them or even try to dispose of them due to insubordination, they will in turn turn over his dirty deeds to the townspeople which would destroy his reputation he had so hard to create, which would force mayor Zoabi to cut him off for the peace of the town.

Based on what he know of mayor Zoabi, he would not hesitate at all to cut anyone off if they gave him trouble.

He may have gotten all he ever wanted in his current situation, however due to his actions he had destroyed the town's order himself. Unlike the previous captain Ester, he can't seem to get his men's trust and support, and at this point in time, it was too late for him to try and get their trust due to the fact that his deeds were known.

If Captain Ester had established order due to his perseverance, he on the other hand destroyed order due to his selfishness. With that Rueben couldn't help but contemplate whether he did the right thing or not, in fact he even begun to feel guilt. If this was the result of his past actions, he want none of it.

What's more as if that wasn't enough for a problem, Mayor Zoabi who is known to be a sex maniac due to his high libido despite his age, has its sight on the previous captains wife. No matter what there is a limit to what he can tolerate, if mayor Zoabi wants him to dispose of some guys, he would do it, but if he ask to dispose of any women who has a child to take care off, he would literally hesitate to even follow such order.

After all before becoming independent the last person who tool care of him is his mother. Since he received all the love from her before she died, he somehow hesitant to even target any women who has a child since it always remind him of his mother who took care of him before he turned into this twisted monster. Due to his inability to force Ziv to accept mayor Zoabi's proposal, the person himself seemed disappointed in him and closed up on him for the time being.

With a heavy sigh, Rueben even wondered what to do in this situation and what would Ester do if by chance Mayor Zoabi desires his wife and boldly orders him the same order he had received.