★ 22 ★

ONLY READ THIS IF YOU ARE ON WATTPAD. TEENFIC.NET HAS STOLEN THIS BOOK ILLEGALLY. THE ORIGINAL CREATOR IS I_am_a_Frog_ ON WATTPAD.

gagedigedagedago

Tws: mentions of death, censored swear, possession, etc.

-

"Please! Please don't hurt him!" Pearl cried, struggling to a standing position. "Stupid temporary f***ing blindness-" she hissed under her breath.

"What do you suppose I do instead?" The twisted, warped voice of Scar asked, and Pearl could nearly hear the vicious grin on his face. She activated her mind-reading ability and- to her surprise,- she saw little thought bubbles in her vision. Three down closer to what she assumed was the ground, and one right in front of her, showing images of dark blue vines.

"Just- leave them, please." Pearl requested, rubbing her forehead. Mind-reading had always been a bit of a pain, but it almost hurt now added with blindness. She took a deep breath and continued,

"Take me instead."

There was silence. Pearl saw some spikes of yellow shock appear from the skulk's thoughts as it processed what she just said. A picture of purple fire wreaking havoc on a forest consumed by blue vines and blood appeared, and Pearl looked down.

"Alright," the skull decided finally, "I'll take you into my care."

"And you'll make sure these three-" Pearl gestured to the other thought bubbles, "-get out of this forest? Safely?" She added with a warning tone. She saw a flash of hot pink annoyance before it vanished, replaced with a mixture of bright orange glee and a dark red colour Pearl hadn't seen before.

"Yes, yes. I'll do that." There was a shuffling noise and the three smaller, farther away thought bubbles started moving away.

"You will be very useful, Pearl. Think of all the great things you could achieve..."

Like murdering my friends, Pearl thought sarcastically. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea.

A strange sensation ran through her as she felt the skulk crawl up her legs. She leaned against the tree and began to breathe heavily.

She was about to disable her mind-reading when she heard faint voices enter the clearing and saw four more thought bubbles. Most of them were edged with teal concern, but one was threaded with darker copper anxiety.

"We heard screaming, is everyone- oh no."

"Pearl!"

Scott. It was Scott's group. And they were coming closer.

"No-" Pearl winced at her own voice becoming layered. "Don't." She looked up to where the four were, and they hesitated for a moment. "I- I made this decision." She started, feeling the skulk wrap around her. "I saved them..." She croaked with a sad smile.

"Pearl, please! We can still save you!" Martyn called, anxiety filling his bubble like rapid water.

"Just- agh-" she clutched her side in pain as the skulk tightened. "Just get out of here!" Pearl raised her voice in determined anger. "I don't want... To hurt you..." She lifted a hand and felt skulk move with it. Hot tears ran down her face and she stopped the mind-reading, letting everything go black.

"But- but Pearl-" Scott protested.

"I don't want to HURT YOU!" She repeated loudly, summoning a ball of fire. "...tell Grian I'm sorry. I'm so, so..." She trailed off into a heartbroken giggle. The fire should be enough of a warning. Pearl shoved the fire in their direction, forcing them back and creating a wall of purple flames.

"PEARL!"

Silence. Just... Pure, utter silence...

It almost hurt...

Being left alone... Not the first time, that's for sure.

"More tears?" He felt himself say, watching the ripples of water as a hand went to his cheek.

"How do you deal with all these emotions, Cub?" A short, sharp laugh. "It's like you want to die."