Chapter 10: Shang Tsung Meets Sae-Byeok

Raiden met with the Elder Gods and was allowed to ask them three questions. He asked why Shao Kahn was allowed to break tournament rules and force his way into Earthrealm, and how Shao Kahn can be stopped.

The answers he received were sparse and ambiguous; one of the Elder Gods, named Shinnok, says that reuniting Kitana with her mother, Sindel, was the key to breaking Shao Kahn's hold on Earthrealm, but another insists that the defeat of Shao Kahn himself was what was needed.

Raiden then was asked by the Elder Gods about his feelings and obligations towards the mortals, and what he would be willing to do to ensure their survival.

***

Back with Sae-Byeok...

"Okay, I need to get out of here, but how?" Sae-Byeok asked herself, thinking of a way to get herself out of the dungeon so she could rescue Kitana. She had been in the dungeon for two days. It was then she came up with an idea.

She grinned. "That's it! I know how to get out of this sticky situation."

With that, she summoned the flames in her grips and melted the bars of the cell down. It was too easy for her to come up with a plan. She should have done it early if she wasn't that clueless. Once the bars of the cell melted down, she eventually left the dungeon so she could rescue Kitana. She also makes sure she doesn't get caught by Shao Kahn one of the henchmen and warriors.

When she reached the throne room, she looked around searching for Kitana. She figured she could be imprisoned somewhere.

"Sae-Byeok?" Suddenly a familiar voice called out to her. Sae-Byeok turned around and saw it was Hotaru who found her.

"You're not going to tell them I'm escaping, right?" Sae-Byeok asked, afraid she would alert Shao Kahn and the others.

She shook her head. "Your secret is safe with me."

She smiled. "Thank you." Then she frowned as she began to question, "Hotaru, do you know where they hide Kitana? I need to rescue her immediately."

Hotaru nodded. "Of course. She is locked up in the chamber, so she couldn't escape. I'd be happy to show you."

"Thank you, Hotaru." Then Hotaru took Sae-Byeok's hand and led her to the imprisonment room where Kitana was hidden.

Suddenly, Hotaru didn't watch where she was going when she bumped into a man who looked awfully familiar.

"Princess Hotaru, what are you doing here? You should be resting." A familiar voice said that Sae-Byeok never wanted to hear.

Sae-Byeok slowly looked up and saw the familiar face. Her eyes widened, freaking out. "Sh-Shang Tsung!? H-How!? I-I killed you!?"

"Huh?" Then Shang Tsung noticed Sae-Byeok and gave her a confused look. "Hotaru, can you tell me who this young girl is?"

"This is Sae-Byeok, my new friend. I met her at the cell." Hotaru said.

"And you let her out?" Shang Tsung asked with arms folded.

Sae-Byeok looked at Hotaru with a concerned look then Hotaru decided to lie to the sorcerer. "Yes, I did. She wanted to go outside and get some fresh air."

"I see. Do you know where she is from?"

"Earthrealm," Hotaru answered.

He narrowed his eyes. "Oh, really? That friend of yours looked awfully familiar to me. She looked like someone I despised."

Sae-Byeok looked at Hotaru again with a concerned look. Then Sae-Byeok looked at Shang Tsung again.

"We really should get going," Hotaru said when she tried to get Sae-Byeok to leave.

"Wait, Hotaru. You need to go to your bedroom and rest. I'll take your friend back to the dungeon. I'll be back and give you the Taioron Crystal." Shang Tsung said as he grabbed Sae-Byeok's hand.

Hotaru looked at Sae-Byeok with a concerned look.

She smiled at her, saying, "I'll be fine, Hotaru."

Hotaru sighed. "Okay. Shang Tsung, please don't try anything to harm her."

He let out a grin as he tightened his fingers that were wrapped around Sae-Byeok's left shoulder, squeezing a bit harder. "I won't."

Then Shang Tsung sent Sae-Byeok to the dungeon while Hotaru was heading back to her bedroom. When they arrived at the dungeon, he suddenly pinned Sae-Byeok against the wall. That scared Sae-Byeok a lot. He had his hand wrapped around her throat, choking her.

"Who are you? And why do you look like Liu Kang? Are you related to him?" Shang Tsung demanded the truth from her.

"Shouldn't you remember back when I defeated you?" Sae-Byeok asked, confused.

He gave her a confused look. "What are you talking about?"

"The time when we were in the Armageddon defeating you and Quan Chi," Sae-Byeok said.

He scoffed. "I don't recall that. And I have no idea what you are talking about. I clearly recalled when Sailor Moon defeated me with the kiss of death and then Liu Kang killed me in the previous tournament. I don't even know you as well."

Sae-Byeok then confused again. "What? But you literally just--" Then she stopped talking and realized what Shang Tsung meant. She eventually recognized the real Shang Tsung who was defeated in the previous tournament.

"Oooh... Now I get it." She said to herself.

"Tell me. Are you related to Liu Kang or not? You definitely looked like him." Shang Tsung demanded again.

She shook her head. "I won't tell you."

He narrowed his deadly eyes. He then summoned his power when he was about to take her soul by force. "If you don't tell me now, I will personally rip your soul out of your flesh bone and have it for myself."

"Shang Tsung!" Suddenly, Sindel called out to him as she stood beside her daughter Hotaru.

Shang Tsung turned to face the Queen. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

"What do you think you're doing to my daughter's friend? You should know better than to harm this girl. You promised Hotaru you wouldn't hurt her. Yet you broke it. Let her go right this second."

Shang Tsung gave her a pity look. "I don't think Shao Kahn would like this."

"I do not care. Do as I say or do I have to force you?" Sindel said.

He sighed in defeat as he looked at her. "You are lucky to keep you alive, livestock."

Then he let Sae-Byeok go as he watched her running up to her. Sae-Byeok hugged Hotaru, thanking her for sending someone's help. Hotaru hugged her back. That was the first time she had a friend.

Shang Tsung was staring at Sae-Byeok with a suspicious look. Why does she look like Liu Kang and Princess Serenity? Who is she and where does she come from?