t h i r t y t w ø ☄️

Josh ran through the woods, trying to make his way back to camp. His heart was racing, and sweat was dripping from his curly black hair. Fear was firing through his body, and he knew that it was only a matter of time before it could consume him.

He could feel the words of Nico haunting him, but he fought it off the best way he could.

At last, when Josh reached camp, he saw that his group was all fast asleep, including the newlyweds; Kai and Linh.

Josh breathed a sigh of relief; knowing that his group was safe, and felt that they had a strong chance of striking Ender and Wren, and saving Tyler's life.

The man came over to Jenna's side and lay down next to her. As he attempted to close and eyes and sleep, the girl woke up and laid her hands upon her leader's shoulders.

"You were gone for too long." She said. "Citrus was afraid that you were killed."

Josh turned slightly to her.

"He need not worry now. Nico is growing strong, and time to strike is now."

Jenna became very curious about what Nico revealed to Josh. She had to know.

"What did he tell you?" She asked.

Josh sighed, then spoke.

"I tried to go to him and ask him to release my Tyler from the curse..."

The man lowered his head.

"But he refused."

Jenna felt defeated as well. She always had a gut feeling that Nico had some part to play when Tyler was cursed, and it hurt her to know he wouldn't grant an act of mercy and release the child from his death like state.

Nico was a master of evil and manipulation, and he would never be merciful under any circumstances.

"What is to happen now?"

"On the morrow, we will climb the north tower, and deal with Ender and Wren." Josh declared. "Nothing will stop me from putting an end to my flower's curse."

"I agree."

Jenna reached over and took Josh's hand. The man looked over and saw the sorrow that appeared on the girl's face.

"Jenna, what's the matter?" He asked.

"I'm just thinking about how far we've come."

Jenna started looking around the area surrounding them.

"When we arrived, we were merely strangers to this land, but now we rule it all."

Josh nodded.

"Yes, it has been a long time."

Jenna laid her eyes back on Josh's face. She could see the sadness and pain that appeared in his eyes. She knew that his thoughts dwelled upon Tyler.

She remembered the day Josh brought the child's body back to Trench, when everyone believed that his death was real, until the truth came out that he had lived, but was under a spell.

She wondered what it was like the day Josh and Kai found Tyler, and when the nightmare began.

"Tell me about what happened, when you and Kai found Tyler in the lake."

At first, Josh was severely hesitant to tell the story, but he silently reminded himself that the child was merely in eternal sleep, and was not dead.

Taking in the hope that he held on to, Josh began to speak.

"I remember seeing Tyler. He was reaching out to Wren, and was trying to embrace her as his mother. I couldn't let him take in the trick."

Josh looked off into the distance, as he started picturing the tragedy before the eyes of his dear friend.

"I jumped in front of Tyler, and started attacking Wren. I could feel the poor boy's hands slapping me across the back. He was begging and pleading for me to stop. When I tried to get him to get away from Wren, he..."

The man felt tears streaming down his cheeks.

"He fell into the lake."

Jenna was not of witness to the event, but she couldn't imagine seeing the boy he loved fall into doom so quickly.

Josh continued the story.

"Right when Wren turned the lake into ice, I tried to break Tyler out. He was pounding his fists against the ice. He was fighting to stay alive, but it was too late."

Josh looked out into the distance in front of him; his story only becoming darker.

"I searched for Tyler, Kai was with me. We split up, and we promised to meet again if something came up, but..."

"But, what?" Jenna asked.

The man's voice began to shake. Grief started to overcome him.

"I found Tyler, my beloved flower, the boy that I love."

Josh's tears started flowing harder than ever. Jenna too started weeping.

"He was floating in the water, like a flowered lily. His hands were floating outward. It was almost as if he was placed there. I tried to revive him, but he was so cold-"

Jenna stopped Josh was speaking further and held him her arms.

"Our flower is alive." She told him. "We are fighting this battle to end Dema, and we will avenge Tyler."

Josh nodded; shaking his head repeatedly.

"Y-Yes, we are."

~

Right as the conversation ended, Citrus approached them. He saw that Josh was back at his post, and he was unharmed.

"Master, you have returned." He said. "I am pleased that none has come of harm to you."

"There is no need to worry about me." Josh told him. "We leave for the north tower on the morrow."

Citrus was surprised that the leader was making a plan so quickly.

"Nico failed to negotiate?"

"He was not to be trusted." Josh said. "It was a bad move to meet him on the field."

"Let's not worry anymore." Jenna said; acting as the mediator. "Lord Josh has a plan now, and we will act on it."

Citrus nodded.

He was loyal, as he always will be.

"Wake me at dawn."

After Citrus left, Josh and Jenna retired to their mats, where they slept side by side, like they did back in their home in Ohio.

As Josh closed his eyes, he set his mind on Tyler, the flower who bloomed, and would soon be re-bloomed, once Ender and Wren were defeated.