~ Chapter 38 ~

Omg guys we all survived the wait

Chapter 38
Saturday October 21st
Mallory's POV

"She's seizing!" Holly announced sending shivers down my spine. It was hard to put my eyes on the little girl whose body was twitching uncontrollably in front of me. It felt like my own breaths were hitched in my throat at the harrowing sight.

Mason grabbed throw pillows or blankets, resting them on the side of her bed to prevent her head from slamming against the rails.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god" I repeated to myself over and over again quietly. My words were so quiet I didn't even know if they could hear me, but it was what I could muster. My stomach was in a million and one knots at Stevie's seizure, because how could this be happening right now?

She was okay just a minute ago.

She had to be okay.

"Her fever spiked again. It was gone this afternoon, but it must've come back and overheated her" Holly explained, and it made me feel even worse. Stevie had a fever this morning, and Harry still left her to do this surgery? He clearly agreed when Stevie was feeling better, otherwise he would have never made it into that OR. The thought made me sick to my stomach.

"Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god" I repeated again. Stevie's eyes rolled to the back of her head, her unconscious body flailing in different directions. Her muscles were stiff as her back arched up and down off the mattress. It was one of the most traumatizing scenes that I've seen so far since I started. "H-how long has it been?"

"A minute" Holly answered quickly, her worried eyes looking at the screen. I know she was a seasoned nurse and has likely handled this multiple times, but you could tell this was hitting her as well. Her worried eyes flashed back and forth between Stevie and the monitors.

"Okay okay, we need-"

"She's in respiratory distress!" Holly yelled.

I rushed to give her an oxygen mask, my shaky hands working hard to secure it around her moving head. Holly said that it's only been a minute, but it felt like time was at a stand still. Every second felt like a thousand years. She was having a febrile seizure, based on the way her temperature spiked and the movement of her limbs, but it was still an overwhelming amount of scary.

This was Harry's daughter in front of us.

Febrile seizures typically last 1-3 minutes and can stop on their own, but could potentially last longer. Rescue medication was given when these seizures lasted longer than 3-5 minutes. I couldn't imagine it lasting so long, so I prayed that Stevie was able to recover from it fast. It felt so much more pressurizing since it was Harry's child.

If anything happened to her right now, I couldn't even begin to fathom how angry and hurt he would feel.

He would never forgive me.

"Mallory! Why are you freaking out so much!" Mason yelled at me, as my hands let go off the mask. He was staring at the trembling in my fingers. I never thought that anything could feel worse than having to do surgery in an elevator all on my own, but I was wrong.

This feeling, of watching Stevie uncontrollably spasm, was the worst thing in the world.

"Because this is Harry's daughter!" I yelled back. I didn't even mean to out the fact he has Stevie, as I was warned previously to not let it come up. But it was the heat of the moment.

Holly and I were trying our best, but it was hard when your patient was somebody you know in a personal sense. I've never met Stevie before now, but she was his daughter and therefor apart of the hospital family.