~ Chapter 20 ~

Chapter 20
Wednesday September 13th
Mallory's POV

Harry was in a slightly less grouchy mood today.

I had the same dreaded reaction that I do every time that I get placed on pediatrics. I honestly never thought that I could hate a floor of the hospital this much, but I was proven wrong. The decorations and all that helped make children at ease, only filled me with despair, because I knew I'd be bossed around by Harry all day long. And that never made for a good shift.

I've also been avoiding him as much as one can working in the same walls, but luckily the building was large and it was more manageable. 

I had trudged up to the pediatric floor talking to Isabella on the way. Isabella was assigned to work with Dr. Herrera, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly jealous despite being on OBGYN yesterday. When needed, we went our separate ways and I came face to face with the unfamiliar sight of a smile on Harry's face.

It was strange, and honestly I didn't know how I felt about it.

"Good morning Hannah" Harry greeted one of our patients, I looked at her chart for rounds and read off the information to Harry. Sometimes I felt like I was just doing it as a formality, because Harry just nodded along like he knew everything already anyways. I think he actually kept up with his repeat patients and paid proper attention to them, unlike some surgeons.

Hannah is a 7 year old girl who is recovering from an appendectomy that Harry performed 3 days ago. She had a couple of Barbie dolls in her lap that she was playing with, but set them down when the doctors came in.

"Hi Dr. Harry" She waved at him, showing him a smile with her two front teeth missing. She was adorable.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her going to stand at her bedside. I joined beside him, ready to type away in the patient chart and do any updates.

"Good" Hannah replied easily. "Will you play Barbies again?"

Harry chuckled slightly as he used his little flashlight to check her throat. He grimaced a little bit but didn't let her know it, and responded. "I have to check on my other friends, but I'll come play for a few minutes when I'm done. Deal?"

"Deal" She fist bumped him.

Harry smiled at her and moved his hands down to her neck, gently using the tips of his fingers to apply pressure and feel for any swelling. I noticed he did a longer exam than he typically does, going back and rechecking the same spots to be sure, so I had a feeling he felt something was wrong.

Hannah's dad was watching from the guest chair the same way that I was, and I could see his eyes flash with a hint of panic when he noticed the same thing that I did.

Harry didn't make it a big deal, just moved on to check out her incision.

"Hannah, does your throat still hurt? Still a little sore?" Harry asked her, removing his hands and shoving them in his coat pockets.

"Yeah" Hannah answered quietly, brushing her Barbie doll's hair.

"Is that bad?" The dad asked, jumping in.

"Follow me" Harry told him and the dad quickly stood up from his chair. Harry turned towards Hannah. "Your dad will be right back, he's just going to grab you some more water, and I will see you in a bit"

"Okay Dr. Harry" Hannah waved goodbye to the both of us.

The three of us filed out of the room, the dad standing to face both Harry and I waiting for Harry to share what he wanted to say.