Episode 6

Faith had left the Sands crime scene, her first ever as a homicide detective, with the disapproval of her new partner ringing in her ears. Jacks was not happy to hear that she was connected to a possible suspect. She didn't know much about the man but she didn't think he got happy about much in life. Unless it was running over baby birds in some parking lot. Jacks said he was going to tell the lieutenant and have her removed on the case as primary. As she drove in the official vehicle her head began to hurt and not just from a hangover. It really hurt as she arrived at DuBuis's place. As she wordlessly moved past Spencer's father and stepmother who sat on the porch swing along with Luci. Andrew was reading the paper and Glory answering Luci's questions about what sounded like hormone treatments.

It didn't stop hurting as she sat at the kitchen table with DuBuis and Spencer who were both shocked but not completely devastated to learn Skip had been attacked.

Spencer felt the need to stay busy so he rolled over to the stove and put on the kettle for tea. " But you do homicide now. He's still alive though? "

Faith sighed deeply. " Yeah. Well the homicide unit deals with attempted murder and assault as well as homicide so. Look. Buis , I should not be here. My partner is probably ratting me out to our lieutenant now. She's a hard ass so I figure I'll get jerked off this case."

DuBuis rubbed his face with hands that looked raw and rough to her. Odd. She never saw his hands looking like that before. He was usually lotioned up within an inch of his ashy life. " I didn't do it if that's what you're getting at , Faith. "

Spencer was staring at the teapot. He had been about to bring up the subject of his nephew when Faith had shown up but now Theodore was the least important thing on his mind at the moment. " Of course he didn't do it," Spencer said, his usually gentle voice rougher than he wanted it to be.

Faith nodded and said," I know that. I know you did not do crap to that little bitch but..... Look. Listen to me. Get a lawyer. When Jacks comes to talk to you call that lawyer. Don't talk to him or any cop , even me , until the lawyer is there. Don't talk while the lawyer is there. " She grabbed a pen and a small piece of notepaper that was on the table and scribbled something really fast. Then she shoved it over to him, saying," Call her. She is the toughest and roughest defense attorney I actually respect. Only one really. Name's Sheila Veldez. She's..... sister of .... a friend of mine. Tell her I sent you. I hope you got a good alibi too. We're still working together a time table for this shit but according to the girlfriend,  whose a bitch by the way, he was fine early this morning when she left to drop off her kid at his father's house for some labor day thing. Then she came back around afternoon hours and found him. She claims as she called 911 he was saying you did it. "

" He's lying," DuBuis said wearily as Spencer whispered almost to himself as he poured three cups of tea in blue and white cups," That bastard. "

Faith said sternly," I know that. Just remember what I said. Your new best friend needs to be a lawyer. " Her eyes went to Spencer whose hands were trembling too much. " You too , Math Boy. I'll do what I can but I have a feeling it will be limited. "