Episode 10

Tuesday September 3, 2024
Washington DC

Faith Lane moaned and rolled over in the bed. Her long slim arms hit a warm breathing human body. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Melinda Velez smiling back at her seductively.

" Hello , wifey," Melinda practically purred as she reached over to kiss Faith's startled lips.

Faith pulled back suddenly and stared at her lover. Wifey ? What the fuck was the woman talking about now? She couldn't really remember much of last night. That was becoming a worry actually. She thought of what Andrew Norland with his compassionate eyes and gentle face had said to her that night at her brother's house. She thought of that business card he had given her. He had said he could help her.

Faith shook her hungover groggy head. Nobody could help her. Well. Maybe Pamela but she was gone. And tomorrow was her funeral.

" What the fuck you mean wifey? Have you been sampling the merchandise in Narcotics, Melinda Velez? " She pressed her fingers against her forehead, trying to keep out the little men that refused to stop drumming against her head apparently.

Melinda laughed huskily and stretched out her own long lean sun bronzed body with cat like grace. " Oh don't tell me you don't remember? I'm offended, darling. Just offended. We eloped last night. Here in DC. Lucky I have a friend at city hall who married us here with his wife as witness. He said he would file the marriage license today. Nice to have useful friends, isn't it? I'm hearing your big brother could use a few useful friends right now. "

Faith was about to snap at Melinda's smirking gorgeous face and cuss her out but two things stopped her.

One the simple gold wedding band on her ring finger that almost seemed to mock her with reminder of her own failures and mistakes in life.

Two her cell phone beeped with an incoming text message.

She reached out for the phone and silently read it. It was from her lieutenant.

Lieutenant Hannah Henson. Better known as the Ice Maiden of Homicide.

Hannah: Get your ass in my office now. I want an explanation of your current involvement in an ongoing attempted murder case. You're starting to smell like trouble, Lane. I don't like trouble.

Faith sat up in bed and unsteadily put her feet on the carpeted bedroom floor. " I gotta go. But we are not married. Trust me on that. "

Melissa stroked at her face, saying," Oh leaving so soon? It is our honeymoon. And, darling, we are indeed hitched. For now and forever. I believe in the term Till Death Do Us Part. Don't you? "