Episode 12

Spencer was in the living room when it happened.

Actually he was seated in the entryway to the living room, trying to decide if he wanted to go into it. He did but he didn't. He had not been inside the living room since that day that.... That ..... That Skip had......He didn't know if he would ever be able to go in the room again. DuBuis was right. He should make an appointment to talk to his therapist back at the rehab center Reverend Lynn but he was afraid. He was afraid and nervous and ashamed to admit that now he was so weak and passive he couldn't defend himself. Of course he never had been, he reminded himself as he leaned forward slightly, not realizing that he had forgotten to  fasten his seat belt.

Suddenly his legs , his damn useless legs that couldn't move or feel, began to twitch mightily with the terrible spasms that hit him every so often. They had warned him it could happen during his physical therapy at the center. Usually when it did DuBuis was there and he could rub them. DuBuis would rub his withered legs and stretch them gently and massage them with nice smelling lotion. But, he was not there right now, Spencer thought as his legs against his will tightened up in a severe spasm that was so bad this time it  actually jerked himself out of the chair.

He landed on the living room floor in an untidy heap of unmoving human. Damn. Damn it. He hated this. He tried to sit back up and reach for his chair but the spasms were getting worse. He fell back on the floor and gritted his teeth. A tear slipped from his eye down his cheek.

He wished he had never been shot.

He wished he had never been..... raped.

He should have died. He should have died back in college at the hands of Skip Sands. Then DuBuis's life would be so more simple.

" Hey ," he heard his father say from the entryway and he looked up to see Andrew moving the chair back slightly so he himself could get to Spencer on the floor. " Are you alright, son ? Should I call 911 ?  Did you fall? "

Spencer could not answer because he was too busy crying. Andrew pulled his son up in a more sitting position and held him in his arms, patting Spencer's back and hair while murmuring that it would be ok.

Glory came into the living room and exclaimed," Is he ok , Drew ? "

She didn't wait for an answer though as she knelt beside him on the other side and reached down to touch his frail useless legs. Spencer whispered," Don't. They're.... horrible...."

Glory ignored him and pulled up his pant legs slightly so that she could begin to massage and stretch his legs just like DuBuis did. He could not feel it but the spasms were starting to ease.

" Don't be silly, Spencer," Glory said gently. " Your legs are fine in appearance. Mine are skinny with bony knees and your father adores them. Anyway I know what to do. Did your dad tell you one of my children, my son Alfred, has cerebral palsy. He has a walker and a cane to help him get around. He is in his thirties and very independent. He designs crossword puzzles. He gets these sometimes. They pass. I know it's scary but, my dear boy, they pass. It's ok. "

Spencer cried softly as his stepmother rubbed and stretched his legs and his father held him in his strong arms.

" It will be ok ," his father whispered in his ear. " I promise. "