Episode 17

That night as they cuddled in bed and DuBuis held his husband in his arms, his nose smelling Spencer's freshly washed blond hair, DuBuis remembered what his father in law had told him earlier. So he bit the bullet and told Spencer about the meeting with the police and his symptoms and appointment with Reverend Lynn.

Spencer had listened quietly and remained quiet even after DuBuis was finished talking. To the point that DuBuis was starting to get nervous as all hell.

Finally Spencer said," Ok. "

" Ok ? That's all you have to say ? Ok ? You're not mad I'm just telling you? "

Spencer swallowed. " What good would it possibly do to be mad about something I can not change anyway? What would I accomplish in that besides wasting energy? I just hope the police don't bother you again. And I hope Reverend Lynn can help you. "

Then he fell silent for a few long moments until he continued on," I knew you were acting off , DuBuis. I ..... I thought it was me. "

DuBuis pulled back a little and looked down at him , saying," You ? What the hell? "

" Yes. Me. I thought.... I thought..... You were displeased.... With me and our marriage. I thought it was me. "

DuBuis hugged Spencer tightly and kissed him gently on the lips. Spencer smiled softly and responded to the kiss.

As DuBuis pulled back, he said," Genius, my issues had nothing to do with you. Except the fact that I seem incapable of protecting you. You. You are my God given solace, man. My love. My heart. My soul. I feel like I'm losing my sanity and you are what is keeping me sane. "

Spencer kissed his husband's forehead. " You do protect me. More than you know. I never knew what the chemical imbalance resulting in the emotional state and being of love was all about. But I do know I love you. " He hesitated. " And not now. Maybe not ever. But I do want you to fully... love me one day. I want to talk about it more with a professional but I am not sure Reverend Lynn is the right one. "

DuBuis smiled slightly and held him tightly. " Take your time. I ain't bored yet. "

" I love you, Dr. Lane. "

" I love you, Dr. Norland -Lane. "

                   ----------

Glory was sitting up in bed in Dubuis and Spencer's guest room upstairs, reading a book of Emily Dickinson's assorted poetry. " That house we saw on our walk ? ," she asked as she cut her eyes from the page to her husband of six years who was next to her reading Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.

Andrew pushed his reading glasses back on his face and said," The cute , cozy one story one two blocks away from here ? That looks like something off a post card? The one with the For Rent sign ? "

Glory nodded. " Yes. That one. I know we were talking about buying but renting could be interesting too. The bookstore back home runs itself whether you are there or not. And Dorie and her family could easily move into our house. They've been wanting more space with the baby coming. My fifth grandchild. Can you imagine? Greg needs to get off my daughter. " She sat the book on the nightstand and removed her own reading glasses, placing them by the book. " I would miss Alfred but he could visit. I hope he visits. He's so busy we never see him much anyway. Maybe we should....."

Andrew put down his own book and glasses on the other nightstand. " Make an appointment to look at the house from the inside and make an offer? Of course we should. I already made an appointment for tomorrow. I was just waiting for you to say something, Glo. "

He smiled at her and ran his hand up her leg under her long flannel nightgown.

She smiled back and cupped his really nice for his age butt in his red and black checked pajamas.

" I love you, Drew. "

" I love you, Glo. "

They kissed each other and then Andrew disappeared beneath the blanket that covered both of them.

It wasn't long before Glory was smiling big and bright.