Episode 21

Nigel hadn't slept so great last night.

First it was hard finding a comfortable position to lay with his casted arm. He would be so glad to get that cast taken off in a few days.

Second his dreams were filled with Richard finding out the truth about him and kicking him out of the condo. Right into the waiting arms of a smirking Jeremy Santos.

But when he woke up it was to the smiling cautiously face of the man he really did love and adore. Richard Norland stood over him in the bed , holding a wicker tray that contained pancakes, sausage, bacon , eggs, orange juice and a long crystal vase with a single pink rose.

" Good morning, beautiful, " Richard murmured as he placed the tray carefully on Nigel's blanket covered lap as he sat up gingerly.

Nigel looked at him. If anyone else had called him that b word right now he would get up and leave. He would think they were having a little bit of fun at his expense. But it was Richard and he looked so genuine and sincere. For some reason the man still considered him good-looking. Hell , bloody hell, he thought Nigel was beautiful. Right now. Go figure, he thought as he cut into  his pancakes awkwardly.

" Good morning, Richard. You're up early. Where's your breakfast? "

Richard smiled and sat beside him. Nigel warmed inside as Richard kissed him on his cheek. Then his forehead. Then his lips tenderly. " I'm usually up early. I check the stock report. The news. International and national. Emails from work. Emails from Sarah who I wish would remarry like my other ex wives. Apparently my next two weekends with Rebecca are cancelled because she's in cheerleading camp or something of that nature. And I don't eat breakfast. Except coffee. A lot of coffee. "

Nigel made a face at him as he piled eggs on a fork and gently fed it to Richard who obediently ate it. " You should eat. You need to eat. Hardest part of my job as your secretary was making sure you ate properly. You would work 24-7 and not stop for a French onion crisp  if offered. "

Nigel's heart fell when he thought of Lonnie doing his job in Richard's office. If he actually got the courage up to speak to Richard about it. He could not see Lonnie taking the same good care of Richard as he did. He didn't want Lonnie taking the same care of Richard as he did. Lonnie was not bad looking. And he had no scars and both eyes. What if he did manage to steal him away? , Nigel worried.

" And ," Nigel said," I know this is just a temporary situation. My staying here. But we need to discuss what will happen when Rebecca or your other children do visit you. I am willing to go back home then. You know that. I don't want it awkward for you. "

Richard pursed his lips at him. " First this is your home while you recover. You don't have to leave anywhere. Second the boys never want to visit me. Even during school breaks. They hate me. They blame me for the marriages to their mothers not working out. And as for Rebecca. We won't sleep in the same room when she is here but I don't want you to leave. She'll have to get used to you being here and in my life. " He stroked Nigel's face. " Because you will always be in my life. "

Nigel smiled slightly and tentatively. He hoped so but he still saw Lonnie in his mind's eye. And Jeremy. He saw himself in London, younger and cocky. And alone. " Are you saying you are going to come out? ," he asked in a hopeful voice. " To your family? Your friends? Your colleagues? "

Richard laughed. " I have no friends. Except for you.  Maybe DuBuis Lane but our only connection is my brother. The firm doesn't need to know about my personal life. Their only concern is how much money I make them and mine is how much money they make me. As for family I don't see it as coming out. I see it as finally living my life as I choose. " He watched as Nigel tried to clumsily cut a sausage and took the knife and fork from him. He deftly cut the meat , stuck it with the fork and fed it to Nigel who smiled appreciatively at him. " I see it as myself finally being happy. With the one person who was hiding in plain sight under my nose for six damn years. "