𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰

❝When something is wrong with my baby,Something is wrong with me

When something is wrong with my baby,
Something is wrong with me.
playing: [ᴡʜᴇɴ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ'ꜱ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍʏ ʙᴀʙʏ]-
[ꜱᴀᴍ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅᴀᴠᴇ]
0:07 ───ㅇ───── 3:13

The very next time that I saw Baby, I almost wish I didn't. I was working late at the diner, and most times when I had this time shift, I questioned why it was even necessary. Hardly anyone walked in past ten, although Rick insisted we keep the doors open until twelve. Even sometimes Tommy sometimes would leave. These shifts I would usually try to do extra things around the diner like by scrubbing down the tables and reorganizing the chairs.

I began to make my way towards the other booths on the opposite end of the restaurant, but stopped once I heard the door open. For a moment, a smile began to form on my lips. All traces of happiness instantly left my features once I noticed that behind Baby were with his old friends. I thought he was done with these people.

When something is wrong with my baby,
Something is wrong with me.

Darling, Buddy, and another unfamiliar face. I felt a wave of disappoint wash over me as Baby walked straight past me, refusing to even look in my direction. It was like I was a ghost, like I never meant anything to him. I hid my frown, now grabbing menus. I watched as they all sat themselves down in a booth, though my eyes were mostly focused on Baby. What the hell was he doing? Why would he even bother to be with them.

His back was towards me, however I could tell that something was wrong with him. His shoulders were slumped, almost as if he had been defeated. I gathered myself taking a deep breath as I walked over to them with a pen and paper in hand. Darling was chewing on bubblegum as always and Buddy hung his arm over her shoulder.

"What can I get you guys to drink?" I asked.

The other male, whose face I didn't recognize, was the first one to respond.

"Four cokes... uh-" He tilted his head enough to read her name badge clearly. "Jenny." He finished, and for whatever reason, this caused Baby to finally look up at me.

If I know she's worried,
Then I would feel that same old misery.

Our eyes met briefly. I still couldn't see what the problem was. Was it something with work? Was it something with me? I had no clue what caused the sudden change in feelings. Did he still even like me? What was so bad that he just didn't have the guts to tell me himself. Baby was acting as if he didn't know me at all.

"Four cokes comin' right up." I confirmed.

I walked away now walking over to our soda Machine. I grabbed the tall plastic cups before filling them up equally with some ice. Pressing the button on the soft beverage machine, I began to fill each one up to the brim with coke. I should've put some rat poison inside of the drinks make them all go away but that's cruel.. in a way.

Carefully placing them all on a tray, I grabbed onto each end with both hands as I steadily walked towards the booth once more. Everyone and everything seemed tense. Whatever sort of conversation they were having with one another, I could tell that it wasn't a pleasant one. I placed each other four cokes in front of them and took out my pen and paper.

We've been through so much together.
We spoke as one and that's what
makes it better.

"What can I get you guys to eat?" I asked.

"You got any happy meals? These people could use some happy meals, don't you think?" The man asked, I wasn't sure whether to answer the question or not, although Darling and Buddy did look thoroughly pissed off.

"We don't really have a happy-" I was interrupted as the stranger spoke up once more.

"Look at this place, it's pretty nice. You would agree right?" He asked.

"Sure? Where are you getting at?" I asked now furrowing a brow.

"Now tell me, Jenny, why is it that my friend here doesn't like it?" The stranger motioned to Baby, and my expression dropped slightly.

When something is wrong with my
baby,
Something is wrong with me.

What the hell was I supposed to say to that? What is really going on with Baby? Struggling to put together a sentence, I finally mustered up enough courage to respond.

"I'm not sure. He can fill out a customer complaint form if he'd like. Tell us how to improve." I suggested, before taking the mentioned slip and sliding it over to Baby.

I  didn't wait for anyone to say anything else, instead I turned on my heel and made my way towards the front desk again. I couldn't help to try and just put some logic on this situation. Baby and I had been getting along so well, so what changed? Why was he acting so distant? I tried not to assume the worst, and I really just wanted to believe it was him having a bad day at work.

Just what she means to me now,
Oh you just oh you just wouldn't
understand.
And the people say oh they say she's no
good.

It couldn't be anything more than that, right? I was organizing straws here, when I heard a whoosh. Before I could grasp what was going on, they suddenly got up and brushed past me all heading straight for the door. I watched as
Darling, Buddy, and the other male exited the diner.

Baby was the only one remaining as he began to make his way towards the door. He said nothing, only looked at me with those sad eyes of his. He slipped me a twenty dollar bill, along with the slip that I handed him earlier. I wanted to ask him for an explanation, but the words didn't come out. God I could just smack him upside the head right now! A small explanation as to what's going on would be great.

I glanced down at the slip although I noticed how none of the questions on it had been answered. None of the boxes were checked, either. I furrowed my brow when scribble read 'turn over' at the very bottom. I did and the same writing now read '12 AM Road trip'.

Oh I know, I'm gonna have to help her solve it.
When something is wrong with my baby,
Something is wrong with me.

What does this mean? Baby and I would talk about running away together but going through with it was something we never agreed on. How was he going to brush past me like a total stranger then ask me to run away with him? All I wanted was for him to be okay- I mean how did he even get wrapped up in their mess? All of this was beyond weird, and boy was I in for a surprise.

If something is wrong with my baby,
Something is wrong with me.

  ‧˚₊⋅ ୨୧ ⋅₊˚‧
[Edited]

──✧ᴡᴏʀᴅᴄᴏᴜɴᴛ {1204}✧──