Close call

SUMMARY:
(Edited version of season 8, episode 12: Zugzwang. Y/N instead of Maeve.)

——————————

Y/N
The first time you were introduced to Dr. Spencer Reid was through an MRI of his brain. Knowing that he was definitely interesting, you found an article written by him called "Journal of Behavioral Psych", which you complimented him on. That's when it started. 10 months of communication. The first 3 months consisted of weekly letters addressed to pseudonyms. Eventually, the last 7 months of communication turned to payphone conversations.

You were being stalked, so you never allowed yourself to meet Spencer face-to-face. You almost met him once, believing that your stalker had given up - maybe moved on to a new target, but at the last minute, Spencer called you and warned you to stay away, insisting your stalker was at the same restaurant you nearly entered.

Unfortunately for you, the first ever time you saw Spencer's face, you were tied down to a chair with a gash on your forehead, while Spencer sat opposite you, a blindfold resting around his neck.

GENERAL
The only way Spencer was going to get Maeve to safety was to play into Diane's delusion. Every time she spoke, he thought very carefully about his answer.

"I've arranged for your freedom." Spencer told, eyeing Diane, who was holding a gun to Y/N's head.

"The federal government doesn't make deals with people like me." Diane scoffed, her grip tightening around the gun.

"Not true. Nazi scientists were recruited for the Manhattan Project. Mafia bosses are regularly put into Witness Protection. If what you have is valuable enough, the federal government will work with you. And what you have is very valuable." Spencer played into trying to make Diane feel special.

"And what do I have, Doctor?" Diane glared at Spencer, who felt a chill roll down his spine.

"You have a brain that doesn't play by normal societal rules. And I know that all your life the people you care about the most keep leaving. There's a part of you that thinks it's because of that brain. Well, I'm here because I'm not going to leave you. I'm here because...I just hope that I get the chance." Spencer kept his eyes on Diane, trying to keep her attention away from Y/N.

"Chance at what?" Diane furrowed her eyebrows.

"To be with you. Me for her. That was the deal, right?" Spencer questioned, a smile on his face.

"You're choosing me over her?" Diane clenched her jaw, holding the gun close to Y/N's head. It kept slipping between him and Y/N. One moment the gun was aimed at his head, the other moment the gun was aimed at Y/N's head.

"Diane, how could it be anyone else?" Spencer nodded.

"Prove it. Say it again. This time say it to her face." Diane watched as Spencer stared into Y/N's eyes.

"I don't love you. Sorry." Spencer shrugged his shoulders, feeling the tears forming in his eyes.

"I understand." Y/N nodded, trying to remain calm. Although the pounding in her head made staying calm difficult.

"I don't need her anymore." Diane prepared to kill Y/N.

"Kill her and she won't have to live with the fact that you're smarter. Let her live with her irrelevancy. I just want her to see one more thing." Spencer insisted. He immediately panicked when the look on Diane's face turned from happiness to anger in seconds.

"Liar. Liar!" Diane attempted to pull the trigger of the gun in her hand, but Spencer wrestled her for control, sending a few gunshots, alerting the team.

Meanwhile, Y/N managed to free herself from the restraints connected to the chair, but before she could run, Diane grabbed her shirt and yanked her back. One arm rested against Y/N's chest to hold her still, while her other hand held the gun to Y/N's head.

"Stay back! Stay back, stay back!" Spencer saw the team racing through the only entry to the warehouse. He held his arms out, trying to stop them from shooting Diane.

"Diane, Diane, there's still a way out of this." Spencer held one hand toward Diane, trying to calm her down.

"You never wanted me. Never! You lied!" Diane yelled, tears spilling down her cheeks. Her voice cracked slightly.

"I didn't. Diane, I offered you a deal and you can still take it. Me for her. Let me take her place." Spencer's heart rate sped faster and faster as he tried to keep the situation calm.

"You would do that? You would kill yourself for her?" Diane hissed, glaring at Spencer.

"Yes." Spencer nodded.

"Thomas Merton." Y/N spoke up.

"Who's Thomas Merton?" Diane glanced between Spencer and Y/N, confused.

"He knows. He knows." Y/N smiled at Spencer.

"Who's Thomas Merton? Who is he?" Diane kept asking, now getting angrier.

"He's the one thing you can never take from us." Y/N spoke.

"No." Diane shook her head. She was moments away from putting the gun to her head, intending to commit a murder-suicide.

Before Diane got the gun pointing to her head, a gunshot echoed through the warehouse. The sound of a gun hitting the ground followed the gunshot echo. Diane hit the floor with a thud, gripping her left leg. Y/N was thrown to the floor, banging her head on the concrete below her. She saw figures moving around, but her vision went blurry as she fell unconscious.

While Derek, JJ and Alex kept Diane from bleeding out before medics arrived, Spencer didn't hesitate to rush to Y/N's side, trying to keep her alive.

———

Much to the relief of Spencer, he sat in Y/N's hospital room a few hours later, waiting for his girlfriend to gain consciousness and wake up. Occasionally, JJ, Alex or Penelope would come in and keep Spencer company.

When Spencer felt Y/N's fingers twitch in his hand, he immediately stopped reading his book.

"W- What happened?" Y/N questioned as she rubbed eyes, clearly trying to adjust to the bright fluorescent lights above her.

"You're okay. Diane's alive." Spencer told.

"What's gonna happen with Diane?" Y/N slowly sat up.

"Her leg is being stitched up, and then she'll be charged with assault and kidnapping." He answered, exhaling.

"So, you're my boyfriend?" Y/N eyed Spencer, who nodded.

"I hope I'm what you imagined." Spencer smiled.

"You're everything I hoped you were and more. I can't believe I'm lucky enough to be your girlfriend." Y/N chuckled.

"I hope you won't mind if I..." Spencer moved closer, trying to stay calm.

Feeling the pounding in her head slightly worsen, Y/N ignored it as she closed the gap between her and Spencer, gently placing her lips on his.

After a few moments, they both pulled away, big smiles on their faces.

"I love you." Y/N spoke, holding Spencer's cheek in her left hand.

"I love you too." Spencer told, kissing Y/N again.

Outside Y/N's hospital room, Derek, JJ, Penelope and Alex watched the happy couple finally show their love for each other.

"She's perfect for him." Alex smiled.

"He's perfect for her." Derek added.

"Maybe now Spencer will finally be free of your teasing, Derek?" JJ smirked as she nudged Derek.

"I stopped teasing Spencer the moment he told us about Y/N." Derek defended himself.

"Regardless, Spencer seems really happy, and I don't want that to end for him." Penelope insisted.

"Neither do we." Alex told.