Chapter 13: Innovation

TWO WEEKS LATER

SCENE: MAYA'S APARTMENT

(Amber sips her coffee as she watches Maya doing pushups in her leggings and sports bra working up a sweat)

Amber: I am seeing many perks to dating an Olympian slash firefighter. Don't mind me just...keep doing what you're doing.

Maya: (Chuckles and stands up) Don't you have to go to work? save lives, cut people open?

Amber: I'm an intern I just chart, file, and hand people stuff. I hardly get to use a scalpel unless you count lump and bump day at the clinic. So, I'm in no hurry.

Maya: 20 years of school and your just an assistant? I can see why your boss's husband decided to go native.

Amber: Well for me it was 17 years. I skipped fourth and ninth grade and finished undergrad in three years.

Maya: You know paramedics get to do most of what you do, just in an open field or an aid car and not in a hospital.

Amber: Is this you trying to convince me to work with you because fires terrify me, and I can barely lift my suitcases let alone fire gear.

Maya: Just trying to keep your options open. What about this contest their having at your work? Aren't you excited about that?

Amber: I am, I'm excited to see what surgical innovation those bona fide pioneers are gonna storm up. They might just start the first step to curing cancer.

Maya: We can only hope. All right, I'm headed out hopefully I see you around the hospital. And yes, I realize that its wrong of me to hope that I bring a seriously injured person to the hospital just to see you.

Amber: (Chuckles) I'll see you tonight.

(Amber kisses Maya as she heads out)

MEANWHILE AT THE SURGICAL FLOOR

(Alex walks down the hall to see the guidelines for the contest with Webber joining in)

Alex: Hey, you hear anything from Kepner about the contest?

Webber: No, she'll post it up when we get there, do you have anything for the contest? Any ideas?

Alex: (Lies to appear cool) Oh yeah, I have tons of ideas probably more than you.

Webber: I can't think of a number that's less than zero ideas from what I heard about you.

Alex: (Looks at Webber) What are you talking about? Heard from who?

Webber: (Chuckles) Let's just say my sources are very reliable.

Alex: (Purses his lips knowingly) Is your source blonde, blue eyed and sharing my DNA?

Webber: You should've thought harder before letting one of my loyal interns move in with you.

(Alex scowls as he and Webber stand in front of the bulletin board waiting for the rules)

TWO HOURS LATER AT GREY SLOAN

(Jo walks the interns to rounds and explain how they will help attendings with the contest)

Jo: And whatever work you do on this contest will be done on your own time. You will still be expected to do scut. You will not be given any leeway just because you're working on a paper.

Taryn: I call Meredith Grey!

Levi: You don't call Meredith Grey; Meredith Grey calls you.

Amber: Do you know what the attendings are working on?