chapter 22

Tokyo, Shibuya, July 23th 2005 :

"Are you sure you're alright? Should I carry you?" It must've been the third time Mikey asked you those questions. You've recovered quite well these past four days, no more fever and no more headache. The only thing that bothers you is that your body still feels weak from being sick for three days straight.

"It's fine Manjiro, stop nagging me." Your hand finds it's place on his cheek as you push him away from you. To amplify your point you even go to walk next to Draken, using him as a kind of barrier.

The warehouse meeting went smoothly. You normally help them view things rationally and try to prevent a fight, but this time it's different. Moebius actions disgust you deeply, and you can't help but support the fight. Even if it does feel off, you couldn't imagine anything actually bad happening, especially not when Mikey's there.

"Mikey-kun!" The blonde crybaby boy ran into the warehouse. He was panting and you could see his forehead shining from sweating. He probably ran the whole way here.

All heads turned to face him, but only Mikey's expression was somewhat kind. Draken seemed pissed that the meeting was interrupted, and you're pretty sure Pah en Peh just hate the boy.

Your expression remained neutral, even when he asked to put a stop to the fight with Moebius. He talked about someone pulling the strings and the way he worded things made it sound like he knew more, but couldn't tell you. It certainly intrigued you.

A loud thud echoed across the room.

Takemichi's body ached as he got thrown backwards by his hair, it happened so unexpectedly. He moved his body to sit up and watch the one who caused his pain, then got cursed at a few times before he got told to shut up and leave.

The attention shifted back to the fight, more specifically : how they should attack Moebius.

Your gaze remained on the crybaby who was now trying to stand up. His eyes were so full of determination, it only made you feel more bad for him. Especially when he protested and got beat up again.

He took more hits to the face, got a confirmation that the fight will go on from Mikey, and he still doesn't back down. Going as far as blabbering on about how toman will be done for after this fight and how he just got new friends.

Your gaze switched towards Draken, who watched Takemichi intensely. You watched him stop the last punch towards Takemichi. Knowing that he also doesn't like seeing someone get hurt involuntarily made you smile a little.

Mikey apparently didn't see it in the positive way you did. Draken's words didn't help his case either.

But you thought he made sense, his words held a sense of truth. The fight was rushed and even if there was a reason it still makes you uneasy.

"Ken-chin. Are you defying toman?"

"It's not like that at all"

"Yes it is"

The room got enveloped in silence, nobody wanted to speak up first. Your gaze nervously shifted back and forth from Mikey to Draken.

Until a stranger with a questionable haircut walked in.

You are no fool and immediately recognised him as the current leader of Moebius, Nobutaka Osanai. His cocky behaviour and rude statements only confirmed this.

Mikey didn't budge and instead looked at you for a second, studying your expression. He wanted to know if you were scared so he could reassure you, if it was necessary. But he quickly confirmed it wasn't so his attention went back to Osanai.

The momentary silence on toman's part gave Osanai an opporunity to insult them, and Pah a chance to recklessly attack him.

It was a very reckless move, but seeing him get knocked down with one punch was maddening.

The infuriating words coming out of that dirty mouth of his made you ball your fists. Your eyes narrowed into a glare as you stared at him and the rest of the gang.

"I heard you were picking a fight with Moebius. So we're gonna strike first, Mikey-chan."

'Mikey... chan?' Your jaw almost dropped at the ridiculous nickname. Your eyes widened a bit and the glare disappeared, a weirded out and questioning expression taking it's place.

"This is war" The disgusting smile on Osanai's face gave you the ick.

You felt Mikey stand up when he heard the nickname once more, followed by : "of the mid-school infant alliance". His expression remained unreadable but you could sense the underlying anger, his friend was just knocked down after all.

Takemichi's feelings were easy to read, he was scared, but also nervous. It was like he knew what would happen.

You preferred to stay seated but stood up anyways. This was a serious matter, not only to you, but to your friends aswell.

Not wanting to gather any attention, you stayed close to Draken, away from the center of the fight. His gaze momentarily wandered to you, unsure whether to let you stay or not. He wanted to assure your safety, but he knew you'd come up with some kind of argument and stay anyways. Besides, he wouldn't ever mind protecting you.