11

My PoV

As we entered the command center, the atmosphere was tense but focused. Admiral Emily led us to a large holographic display in the center of the room, which flickered to life with images of the Leviathans we had just fought.

"Commander," she began, her voice all business now, "let me bring you up to speed on our new enemy."

The hologram zoomed in on one of the Leviathans, revealing intricate details of its anatomy. I leaned in, studying it closely.

"The Leviathans first appeared about a year after your... disappearance," Emily continued. "They're unlike anything we've ever faced before. Part organic, part machine, and incredibly adaptable."

She manipulated the hologram, showing various Leviathan types. "They come in different classes, each specialized for different tasks. The ones you fought today were primarily Ravagers - frontline assault units. But there are others: Sentinels, which act as command and control centers; Harvesters, which gather resources and can even assimilate our technology; and Behemoths, massive creatures capable of destroying entire fleets."

I nodded, taking it all in. "What about their origins? Any idea where they came from?"

Emily shook her head. "That's one of our biggest mysteries. They seemed to appear out of nowhere, and they're not allied with the Sirens. In fact, the Sirens seem just as threatened by them as we are."

Nyx spoke up, her eyes narrowed in concentration. "Their biology... it's not like anything I've seen before. Even in the Abyss."

"Exactly," Emily agreed. "Their DNA, if you can call it that, is constantly evolving. They learn from every encounter, adapting to our weapons and tactics. It's made them incredibly difficult to combat."

I stroked my chin, my mind racing with possibilities. "And their goals? What do they want?"

"As far as we can tell, total domination," Emily said grimly. "They're not interested in negotiation or coexistence. They consume everything in their path, using the resources and technology they assimilate to grow stronger."

The meeting continued for hours as we discussed strategies, analyzed recent battles, and planned our next moves. By the time we finished, my head was spinning with information, but I felt more prepared to face this new threat.

As we were about to leave, I turned to Emily. "Admiral, there's one more thing I need to do. I want to speak with Andy."

She hesitated for a moment, then nodded. "He's being held in the brig. I'll have someone escort you."

Minutes later, I found myself standing outside Andy's cell. He looked up as I approached, his face a mixture of fear and... something else I couldn't quite place.

"Come to finish the job?" he asked, his voice hoarse.

I stared at him hard. "I came for answers. Why did you do it, Andy? Why did you kill me?"

To my surprise, he let out a bitter laugh. "Is that what you think happened? Brother, I've spent the last two years thinking you were dead."

I felt my anger rising again. "Don't lie to me. I remember the sword, your face as you-"

"It wasn't me!" Andy interrupted, his voice cracking. "I mean, it was my face, but it wasn't me. Think, Alex. You know me. Would I ever betray you like that?"

I wanted to shout, to rage at him, but something in his eyes made me pause. "If it wasn't you, then who?"

Andy slumped against the wall of his cell. "I want the one in control of my body. A new existence in my mind, was created. Her name is Amber. And she..." He trailed off, and I found myself leaning closer. "She what?"