Chapter 36 - Power Trip

Y/N's POV

A month had gone by since we retrieved the Space Stone

A month had gone by since we retrieved the Space Stone. The force of the stone had drained me in ways none of us had anticipated. My recovery was slow but steady. I could see how weak my human body was, solidifying the fact that I would not be able to carry any of the stones yet. While I was physically fine, I could still feel the lingering power of the stone, even though it was now secured in the compound. The sensation was like a distant hum at the back of my mind.

To distract myself from the persistent pull of the stone, I threw myself into researching more locations for the remaining stones. Kate, Carol, and Nebula were my constant companions in this effort. We spent hours poring over maps, ancient texts, and any scrap of information we could find.

"Any luck with the latest scans?" I asked, leaning over Kate's shoulder as she scrolled through data on her tablet.

"Not yet," she replied, her brow furrowed in concentration. "But we're getting closer. There are a few anomalies in these sectors that could be promising."

Carol entered the room, carrying a stack of papers. "I've got some intel from a few of my contacts off-world. There's talk of strange energy readings on a planet in the Andromeda galaxy. Could be worth checking out."

Nebula, who had been silently working at the other end of the table, finally spoke up. "Morag," she said, her voice tinged with frustration.

I turned to Nebula, curious. "What happened on Morag?"

Nebula's expression darkened. "Thanos was searching for one of the stones. He sent a team to Morag, but they ran into Quill. He was looking for the Orb, which we now know contained the Power Stone. They fought, but Quill managed to escape with it."

Kate's eyes widened. "So, you think it could be back there?"

Nebula nodded. "It's a good place to start. I should have suggested it before. I'm sorry."

I placed a hand on her shoulder. "Don't be. We're all doing our best. If Morag is a lead, then we follow it."

We spent the next few hours coordinating our plans, exchanging ideas, and mapping out potential missions to present to the team. The work was intense, but it kept my mind occupied and away from the nagging presence of the Space Stone.

Nat, Vision, Tony, and Rhodey had been called to S.W.O.R.D. to deal with a developing situation, as Sharon had put it. Tony had sent Steve to go in his place, and they'd been gone for a couple of days now with no clear return date. Anxious to get this mission going, I went to find Tony and Bruce.

I found myself in the lab where Tony and Bruce were working. Tony was hunched over a holographic display, while Bruce was meticulously adjusting some equipment.

"How's it going?" I asked, leaning against the doorframe.

Tony looked up, his expression serious. "We've made some progress. We're developing a containment suit that should protect you from the stones' energy. It's still in the prototype phase, but we're getting there."