Prideless Devotion (Solar POV) 1

Prideless Devotion
Solar POV
(Pride Within You Sequel 1/2)

Perfectionism is self-abuse of the highest order, and in allowing it to come between him and his life, he shall risk destroying not only himself, but those around him.

From the pressure of being the superhero of his town to keeping up with his responsibilities in family, friends, and school, he learned it the hard way. All these things were not as easy and laidback as they seemed, and he was not the perfect guy everyone perceived him to be. No matter how hard he tried to keep up that image, like shattered glass bonded together, there would eventually come a time when he would fall apart.

And in falling apart in the process, he had also lost important people along the way — or at least he had only realized how important they were once they were now gone.

"Good afternoon. It is my great privilege to stand before you today as the valedictorian of the class of this year, a momentous achievement that fills me with pride and humility." Solar started, offering a small nod of acknowledgment as he scanned the auditorium. His voice carried an air of authority and conviction that demanded their full attention. "Our journey to this day has not been an easy one; there have been moments that pushed us to the very limits of our abilities and challenges that demanded more from us than we were sure we could give. But through it all, we have shown a commitment to learning and to becoming the best versions of ourselves."

While everyone around them was in awe and listening intently to the light elemental speaking, they could only grasp the surface-level of his achievement. Being named the Valedictorian — an esteemed and honorable title to earn — had once seemed an impossibility for Solar at a certain point in his life, or a goal he may have even given up caring about reaching. The kind of title that required him to constantly maintain high grades had been difficult to come by because one bad grade can instantly hurt one's chances or take them out of the running.

Nevertheless, the root of his struggles was not mere distraction, but rather his own pride. His pride made him resistant to being vulnerable, to accepting help and support from others, and to forgiving himself for his mistakes. And tragically, that same unyielding pride had ultimately become his downfall.

Even if he fell short, he held onto his word, his promise he made long ago. He persevered, making up lost ground to excel on the final examinations and in the school years that followed, when most of his peers were struggling. He made his way back to the top — a position that was undeniably his rightful place. For Solar knew deep down that he was the most academically gifted student, possessing an unparalleled intellectual brilliance that surpassed not only his entire class, but the school as a whole.

But what would any of it be worth if the only way for him to become the person he is now was by pushing people away — or rather someone important to him?

Would he even think about going back in time to change that decision?

And if he did, would things end up the same as they are now?

"The knowledge, skills, and lessons we have diligently gained and accumulated through our experiences will now serve as the strong foundation upon which we can now confidently build and shape the next chapter of our lives, full of promise and potential..."

As he spoke, he caught a glimpse of his dad, Amato, with his phone up and taking a video of his youngest son making a speech at this very significant moment in front of everyone at graduation. He had that proud smile and thumbs up to encourage him, mouthing words of what he could distinguish were 'I'm proud of you' and 'That's my son!' from a distance. His brother, Thorn, grinning widely and clapping quietly but excitedly in his seat right beside his dad didn't go unnoticed by him too.