Kabanta 29

Kabanata 29

Malawak akong napangiti nang marinig kong tumunog ang doorbell ng condo ko. Dahil si Gabriel lang naman ang alam kong pupunta rito ngayon. Hinubad ko muna ang apron na suot bago nagsimulang maglakad papunta sa pinto ng condo. Napalitan ng pagkailang ang malawak kong ngiti nang bumungad sa aking ang hindi pamilyar na lalaki.

He was wearing a black cap, a maroon sweater, and a large baggy pants. He looked pretty normal, but I couldn't shook the unsettling feeling. Who is this guy?

"Hey," his voice low and steady. "You're the guy who just moved recently, right?" He stood there with an eerie smile, his eyes vacant and unsettling.

Pilit akong ngumiti, kahit ramdam na ramdam ko ang pagkailang dahil sa kanyang mga titig, "Uh, yeah. I think I haven't seen you around."

"Yeah, I don't usually go outside," he replied, his smile never reaching his eyes. "Name's Jake. Thought I'd introduce myself."

Tumango ako sa kanya, ramdam ko pa rin ang pagkailang dahil sa kakaiba niyang aura. "Nice to meet you, Jake. I'm Dee."

"Nice to meet you, Dee," he said, glancing past me, into my condo. "Nice place you've got here. Mind if I come in for a bit? Just to chat?"

Every instinct told me to refuse, but I didn't want to appear rude. "I'm actually expecting someone," I said, hoping that would be enough to deter him.

Jake's smile faltered for a split second before he shrugged. "Oh, really? A friend or...?" he asked, his tone curious but his eyes still cold.

"My partner. He's coming over for dinner," I said, my voice a bit shaky.

Jake didn't seem to pick up on my discomfort—or maybe he did, and just didn't care. "Well, I won't take up much of your time then. But hey, if you ever need anything, I'm just a few doors down." He leaned in slightly, his smile widening in a way that made my skin crawl. "You know, it's good to have friends in a new place."

Pilit akong ngumiti sa kanya, kinakabahan pa rin. "Sure, thanks. I'll keep that in mind."

Siya ba yung sinasabi sa akin ni Lawrence na nakatira katabi ng unit niya? But this guy right here said he's new here.

"Are you sure I can't come in for just a minute? It's kind of lonely being new here and not knowing anyone," he pressed, taking a step closer to the door.

I backed up a bit, gripping the edge of the door tightly. "I'm really sorry, but now's not a good time."

Jake's eyes narrowed slightly, and his smile faded. "You don't have to be so scared, you know. I'm just trying to be friendly."

"I appreciate that, but like I said, I'm expecting someone," I reiterated, trying to keep my voice steady.

Nanatili siyang nakatayo roon ng ilang sandali, his eyes studying me in a way that made me feel even more uncomfortable. "Alright, Dee. I'll see you around," he finally said, turning away slowly.

I quickly closed the door and locked it, leaning against it and taking deep breaths to calm myself. Just as I was about to return to the kitchen, the doorbell rang again. My heart skipped a beat, but this time, I felt a rush of relief knowing it was probably Gabriel.

I opened the door and there he was, holding a bouquet of flowers. "Hey, Dee. Surprise!" he said with a broad smile, and the anxiety I felt melted away, replaced by warmth and comfort.

"Gabriel!" I exclaimed, pulling him into a tight hug. "You arrived just in time. Something strange happened earlier."

"Strange? What happened?" he asked with concern as we walked inside.