Kabanata 42

"Okay class, the syllabus will be your guide through the first semester of this new academic year. Second years na kayo, dapat sigurado na kayo sa mga desisyon niyo ngayon. Hindi porque may pera kayo ay ita-take for granted niyo na iyon. There are people out there who want to be in your position. If engineering isn't what your heart screams for, then shift your course already," Professor Cania said in his serious tone.

The room fell silent as Professor Cania's words hung in the air. His gaze swept across the class, catching the eyes of a few students who were suddenly unsure of their choices. The weight of his words settled on their shoulders, making them reconsider their paths.

Napatingin ako kay Veronica na abala sa pagsusulat ng notes, habang si Lawrence naman ay nakatingin sa akin. Ngumiti sa akin saka nag thumbs up kaya't umiling nalang ako at muling itinuon ang atensyon kay Sir Cania.

"Now," patuloy niya, his tone softening slightly, "I'm not saying this to discourage you. I'm saying this to make sure you understand that the decisions you make now will shape your future. If engineering ay passion niyo, then great. But if it's not, it's better to acknowledge it sooner rather than later."

A few students shifted in their seats, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of facing such a significant decision. Professor Cania noticed their discomfort and added, "It's okay to be unsure, but don't let fear of change keep you from finding what truly excites you."

He then moved toward his desk, picking up a stack of papers. "This syllabus will guide you through the semester, but your passion will guide you through life. Don't confuse the two. If anyone has doubts or questions about their future, my door is always open."

With that, he handed the papers to the front row to be passed around. The class slowly began to stir, the seriousness of the moment lingering as they took their copies and scanned the pages.

As the students began to settle back into their seats, a quiet buzz of conversation spread through the room. The weight of Professor Cania's words still lingered, but the reality of the day's lessons was beginning to take over. I glanced down at the syllabus in front of me, the list of topics and deadlines blurring together as my mind wandered.

Napatingin ako kay Jao, isa sa mga kaklase ko na magaling din. We often get the same score in exams, quizzes, or even on our plates. Minsan naririnig kong tinatawag samin ng mga ka-block namin ay "rivals", but I never seen him as a competition. I am my own competition. Hindi kami nagkakausap ever since nung first year, wala rin naman akong planong makipagkaibigan. I just find his passion for engineering fascinating. He enjoys it.

Veronica leaned over, her voice low. "Okay ka lang? Medyo intense si Sir Cania ngayon, ah."

I nodded, forcing a small smile. "Yeah, okay lang. I guess he just wants to make sure we're not wasting our time, or his."

"Yeah, pero grabe yung emphasis niya sa passion," Roni replied, shaking her head. "Parang ang dali lang hanapin."

"Maybe for some people it is," I said, my eyes drifting to Jao, who was now flipping through the pages of his syllabus with a determined look on his face. "But for others... it's not that simple."

Lawrence followed my gaze and chuckled softly. "Jao's always been sure, no? Engineering's in his blood. Siguro kaya hindi siya bothered sa sinabi ni Sir."

As Lawrence's words lingered, I couldn't help but wonder if Jao ever had doubts about his path. The way he effortlessly navigated through the syllabus, his eyes scanning each page with the confidence of someone who knew exactly where he was headed, made me question my own certainty.

But before I could dwell too much on it, Professor Cania cleared his throat, drawing the class's attention back to him. "Alright, before we dive into the first topic, I want each of you to write down why you're here in this course. It doesn't have to be long—just a sentence or two about what brought you to engineering and what keeps you here."