Chapter 30

Raven stood tall, his eyes fixed on the podium as his father, the President, began to speak. The room was filled with dignitaries, officials, and media representatives, all gathered for a press conference to discuss the upcoming Candle Lighting ceremony.

"Good morning, everyone," his father said, his voice strong and confident. "Today, we are gathered to discuss an important event that will bring our nation together in unity and remembrance. The Candle Lighting ceremony."

Raven's eyes felt heavy with grief as he glanced around the room. He knew that many of the faces before him were familiar, but he couldn't quite place them.

Alam niyang iilan sa mga ito ay ang mga taong nawalan ng mga mahal sa buhay dahil sa nangyari. The bombing had been a catastrophic event, one that had left a scar on the nation.

"We are always reminded of the fragility of life and the importance of coming together in times of tragedy," his father continued. "The Candle Lighting ceremony is a symbol of hope and resilience, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always light to be found."

Raven's gaze drifted back to his father, his eyes locked onto the familiar lines of his face. He remembered countless nights spent in this very same room, watching his father deliver speeches and addresses.

But this was different.

This was personal.

As the President's words hung in the air, a subtle ripple of emotion began to spread across the room. It was as if a gentle breeze had swept through the crowd, carrying with it the weight of collective grief.

Eyes welling up with tears, faces creasing with sorrow, but not a single sob or wail echoed through the halls. Instead, a soft, silent crying crept over them, like a summer rain that seeps into the sky.

Raven's eyes scanned the room, taking in the quiet devastation. His own throat constricted as he felt the tears prick at the corners of his eyes. It was as if the very air was saturated with sorrow, and even the most stoic of faces couldn't help but succumb to its weight.

This is why he didn't want to come. Naninikip ang dibdib niya para sa mga taong bigla nalang nawalan ng mga mahal sa buhay dahil sa nangyari.

His father wrapped his speech up, answering some of the reporters queries and acknowledging the people's feelings. Pagkatapos no'n ay tumalikod ang ama niya para harapin siya na nakatayo sa hindi kalayuan ng podium.

He took that as a sign to move. Napalunok siya ng sariling laway at pinalitan ang ama niya sa gitna.

Now, he's standing in the podium, his eyes scanning the crowd before him.

He actually didn't prepare a speech. When his father told him he was invited to this conference and is suppose to give a message as someone who had experience the thing itself, all he could think of was..how?

He himself knows that no amount of message can make them feel better.

"It was just another ordinary day. We went to school, had lunch, and listened to our teachers. Everything was normal until we were dismissed. It was around three in the afternoon, and me and my friend were supposed to eat together."

As he began to speak, his voice was steady and clear, but he couldn't shake the sense of trepidation that had taken up residence in his stomach.

He felt like he was standing at the edge of a great precipice, staring out into an endless expanse of uncertainty.

"It all happened so fast. One minute we were laughing and chatting, the next... everything was gone. The noise, the chaos, the destruction... I remember the day it happened like it was yesterday. I remember the sound of sirens, the smell of smoke, the feeling of chaos and confusion. I remember the faces of my colleagues, my friend, my fellow survivors... and I remember the some of the faces of those who did not make it."