21. next level

Francesca Aliyah Edwards

I ran my hands across my satin pillow that lay on my lap

I ran my hands across my satin pillow that lay on my lap. Contemplating on how I was going to tell Ethan about my meet-up with Divine. I sighed as I heard the shower water stop, indicating Ethan was done and it was time to tell him.

I read the text Divine sent about Presley meeting her grandmother Charlie. I knew this is  what came with telling the truth.

I was unsure about how Ethan was going to feel about uprooting the family dynamic he has learned to accept by sharing his daughter with the family of the man I cheated on him with. I know it's normal for Presley to meet her biological family, but given the circumstances I feel obligated to be sensitive to Ethan's feelings, as well.

Steam followed him as he walked out of our adjacent master bathroom. He wrapped a white towel around his waist, before running his hands through his blonde wavy hair. I watched him as he brushed his beard and applied balm to it.

"Babe?" I called out, before clearing my throat.

"Yes?" He answered, continuing with his routine in our mirror.

"I have something to tell you." I played with my fingernails nervously.

"Is it serious?"

"Depends. Please sit." I patted the bed

He took a seat by me then, picked my leg up and put it on his lap, giving me a light foot massage.

I decided to rip the band-aid off, "I met with Presley's biological father's family. Her uncle." I told him studying his expression.

His thick eyebrows furrowed as he let go of my foot, "You what? When? Why?"

"Well, yesterday. I did it because they deserve to know about her. It's unfair for me to keep her a secret. And he wants her to meet the rest of his family."

Ethan scoffed interrupting my explanation, "You did this without speaking with me about it?" He asked

"I'm sorry, but I didn't want to reopen any wounds for you that we worked so hard to get past."

"What do you think you're doing by reconnecting with his family? Did this uncle meet Presley?"

"Yes." I simply responded,

"Are you fucking serious?!" He barked, he got up and started to pace our bedroom with his hands on his hips, his pecs were glistening from his shower and were kind of distracting me from our conversation.

"This is extremely selfish of you, we don't even know this guy! How could you do this without speaking to me first, she is not just your daughter Fran! Is that what you think?" He asked, flustered. "Do you think because I am not her biological parent my opinion doesn't matter?"

His explosive response brought tears to my eyes. I knew he wouldn't be happy about this but I'm afraid this situation will trigger his anger issues and everything we learned in therapy would be forgotten. We worked so hard to change both of our toxic ways when we decided to work on our marriage this is our first test and argument since, and I'm nervous to see how it plays out.