3. love doesnt live here.

Time Essence Kingston

Time Essence.
Like Time is of the essence .
My mother thought, she was clever. But I love my name. It reminds me that you have to live in the now. That's my motto.

Live every day like it's your last.

When my father died my mom didn't give me much time to grieve and mope around. She wanted me to keep going with my degree, with my traveling, and my life. She told me sadness only slows things down.

I know keeping myself busy with school and stuff to ignore my true emotions is toxic but that's what I have to do to survive. That's why I understood what Divine was going through that morning at breakfast.He has a hard shell, but I connected with him when it came to his grief. Based on the little that I saw.

He copes with being silent. I cope with working.

Speaking of working, I was currently participating in a tutoring program at FAMU where I now attend. It's been three months since I've been here.
And I pretty much got the ball rolling on my life, I joined a tutoring program that helps kids and other college students with English, I'm traveling more, I just left a trip to Cancun, before school started and soon I will be going to Europe.

I have a lot going on in my life, but nothing that I'm not used to. My life has always been hectic and full of responsibilities.

I was taking college classes in high school, all while being involved in cheer and a bunch of volunteering. I was my parent's golden child, always had me working so they can brag to their rich peers. My mother wasn't thrilled at the idea of me moving to Florida for school, but I had to do something for me for once.

Being the only child, my parents always spoiled me financially as long as I did what was expected of me. I spent my whole life trying to make them proud.

I did what they want me to do so often that I don't even know what I want anymore.

But strict Caribbean parents can do that to you. My auntie Goldie is my escape from all that, though. That's the positive side.

Being here in Florida with my aunt gives me the opportunity to do what I want to do for a change, to live for me.

She allows me to be myself and make mistakes without judging me, and I love being around that. Living with my parents I had to be so perfect all the time, and it was very exhausting.

A student asked me to check their essay, making me snap out of my thoughts. I gave the young girl a smile and grabbed my pen. "Sorry, about that. Let me see what you got"
•••
"So, how you liking Miami so far?" Aunt Goldie asked as we walked the trail at the local park.

"Honestly, I love it. No controlling Caribbean mother in sight." I sighed with a smile.

Goldie laughed, "Your mother just wants the best for you, that's all. My sister is a little too strict on you. I give it to you. You're a good girl, hardworking, and god-fearing she doesn't have anything to worry about." She nudged me making me smile.